Damsel Breathing Heavily

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sodertech

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 40 Gallon w/ Bio Wheel 400, PC, 24'' Actinic, Few Coral, Clown Perc, Yellow Tang, Fame Angel and Blue Damsel. My water is fine PH is ideal, Nitrates and Nitrites 0, Amm is safe. For about 5 days now my Blue Damsel will not eat much, he was the only fish in the tank up until Friday, then i added the tang, angel and clown. The Angel eats little and the Damsel eats less. The tang and the clown eat normally. The damsel was hiding for two days and now he is in the middle of the tank breathing fast, then every now and then it looks like he is yawning. None of the other fish are breathing like that. Help Me Please

Sorry to hear about your troubles. How old is your tank? There is a good possibility that you over-loaded the bio-filtration with all of the new additions. That was a lot to add at all at once. I would re-check water parameters and get a second opinion on them from the LFS. Do you have LR? What is your main filtration method? Good Luck...Lando

Couple months old, Nitrate and nitrites are good. Bio Wheel 400. I have a little Coral

I would still get a second opinion on the water tests. Be prepared to do a water change if needed. I would also consider bringing the tang back. It is a large bio-load for the tank to handle, plus, 40 gal. is a bit tight for a tang. They need lots of swimming space and can easily become stressed. They are extremely prone to parasites and bacterial infections due to stress.

I have a 120 bout three months old, it inhabits a mimic tang, 3 strip damsel and blue and gold tang, should i transfer and if so how long should i wait?

It would certainly be happier in the 120. However, you may run into aggression issues with three tangs in there.

Back
Top Bottom