Damsel hafl-eaten and shredded!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

loveykel

Aquarium Advice Newbie
HI all, I am new to this particular forum. I have a 55g saltwater reef tank. It is 3 years old and maintained. I have anenomes, polyps, etc, snails, shrimp, yellow tang, hippo tang, two perculas, goby, and a yellow damsel (from original start-up). I have a wet/dry filtration system w/ skimmer, uv, and chemical filter.
Today, when I came home, I found my damsel swimming all crazy, when I looked closer, I say that her tail and fins were mostly missing and jagged!!! I stared for awhile and saw my hippo come up and take a bite at her! What could have happened? How do I go about taking care of her? Let them eat her? take her out? Right now I have her seperated in a net! This is awful! They have all lived together peacefully for at least a year. :( Please advise.

Thanks,
Lovey

O, don't let her get eaten...Do you have a QT? Also, it might be your H2O conditions. I know, when I did my PWC, I didn't let the H2O aerate or check the Ph, the 1st time I did one and noticed a lot of my tank mates had nips taken out of them. So, in my limited experience, it could be the H20...I'm sure the veterans would be able to assist further...

I think you are seeing aggression because of the fact your tank is pretty overstocked. I do not know what size your tangs are, but as they get older/bigger, they tend to develop attitudes.
This would explain why earlier, you didnt see any aggression, but you do now. You are not going to be able to leave the damsel in the tank. You could set up a hospital tank for it and hopefully it could heal and then you could return it to the LFS for a credit maybe.

Thank you! :( You might be right. My tang is about 4 1/2 - 5 inches long. I do not have a QT. :( My poor damsel!

I agree 2 tangs in a 55 is pushing it. IMO any tang other than a yellow or kole in a 55 is pushing it.

Back
Top Bottom