Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-02-2003, 08:04 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

damsel problems

I have a 30 gallon tank that is 6 weeks old. I have had 2 yellow tail damsels in it for 5 weeks. Everything has been great so far. One damsel stays on one side of the tank and the other on the other side. Ocassionally they "play" together. I came home from work today and one damsel is absolutly tormenting the other to death. I feel sorry for the one getting picked on. He won't get back on his side of the tank and just stays in the corner of the tank at the top taking the punishment.His fins are getting ragged. Should I take the damaged one out and end his misery (flush) or let nature take its coarse (whatever the outcome)? Please help since I am new to this and don't have another tank to seperate them.

Old 12-02-2003, 08:21 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to alarmguy66 Send a message via Yahoo to alarmguy66
Mine did that at first, but not quite to that extent. I found completely disrupting the environment (moving around their rocks or homes) calmed things down quite a bit. A problem you may have is that if the submissive fish now is visually weakened, the dominant Damsel may not stop tormenting it.

As dumb as this sounds, Id consider returning the aggressive one to a lfs and try to save the weaker one. The dominant may be equally aggressive towards other fish you bring into its habitat.

Old 12-02-2003, 08:27 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Never flush a living fush. That is cruel as the fish will survive for quite awhile after being flushed and die a slow death from the toxic environment.
Old 12-02-2003, 10:28 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

I'm sorry.That was a bad choice of words. A few years ago I had to put one of my fancy goldfish down and I read where it is best to put them in the freezer. I know this still sounds cruel but it is what I did......With my work schedule there is no way I can get to my lfs before Sunday and I know my damsels will be dead by then. Its breaking my heart to see him being treated the way he is now.
Old 12-03-2003, 06:13 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

Hi,

Having a small tank with damsel I woundn't recommend. Damsel are territorial. Each damsel would take a part of the tank over. When new fish is introduce the damsel will chase it till death or until the new fish fights back! If the damsel that is hiding in the corner badly hurt you should take it out. You can buy a net breeder which will keep your damsel in the take until he recovers. Try purchasing Melafix this will heal him up within a week. If you take out the terror damsel you'll always have the same problem next time with other damsel. All damsel chase eachother. Next time try buying damsel just a little larger then the one you have in the tank.

Good Luck
Old 12-03-2003, 06:24 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Providing cover and places where they can dig holes under stuff might help them too.

When I first saw my 4 damsels carrying rocks around in their mouths I was pretty amazed. Turns out they all dug their own home in a corner, under a piece of liverock, etc. This kept them happy.

Conversely, when I moved them all to another tank, they all werre scared for a little bit and then became "friends" and now they sort of "school" together. (No kidding).

I agree, take aggressive one back to LFS if he won't stop blasting the other one even after you provide them with cover, and give the ragged guy some cover and wait until he heals up.

Good luck!!!!
Old 12-03-2003, 11:09 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

I called the owner of the lfs and told him what was happening and he said to bring the mean one back for credit. I finally caught him with a fish net and that is where he is right now. My lfs store is open late tommorrow night so I'll take him back down their then. I have the fish net floating in the top of the tank and I don't think he can get out. The other one looks better already although his fins are really ragged. Do you think since he has been thru this harassment it will make him less aggresive when I introduce new fish to the tank after cycleing?
Old 12-04-2003, 01:00 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Smonkey15 Send a message via MSN to Smonkey15
i had the same problem, 3 yellow tails and one fot he damsels was just workin the other two. i took the aggressive one back to the store and the one fish that took it the worst, with almost no fins left, completely healed in about 2 weeks. since then i have put a yellow tang in the tank and the damsels and tang swim around like they are buddies. never had any problems with them. fish have personalities, and i dont think there is any way to predict how your fish will react to new additions. with mine i got lucky because it seems as if i have found a couple of the most easy going damsels and tang around!! good luck
steve

Figuring out how to keep my fish healthy is like the pethagorean theorem; there is no solution.
Smonkey15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2003, 08:01 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

Hi,

I've been reading about your damsel problem. Just get fishes the same size or a bit larger. I have ten damsel in a 120 gallon tank, with four flame angles,
two yellow tangs, two royal gramma and two Algae Blennie and every damsel tend to chase eachother around.
One time I had a Black damsel chase a Blue devil damsel around for three month. Until the Blue devil damsel turn around and started chasing the Black damsel around. They tend to stick to a side of the tank and when a damsel comes near by they chase them away.
Have you ever see a damsel dance and shake around a fish, then pushing him with it's tail? Wait till you see this it would flip you out. How about a damsel picking up a pebble with it's mouth and running after the fish and throwing it at the fish. I've seen crazy things with damsel that you will not hear in any book.

Good Luck!
Old 12-08-2003, 12:41 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Introducing more or larger damsels is not the way to go, it will just create the environment you are having trouble with already. Aggression may be humorous for some to watch, but it is not what you want to create in a contained environment.

HoopsGuru is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
damsel

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com