Damsel sick?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Omega

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi there guys

Ok my tank was cycled after 6 weeks and all levels where perfect got my first Damsel yesterday. The fish looked a bit tired at the LFS went home and climitized him into his new enviroment and was going great until this morning, it looked like something scared the daylights out of him the way he was breathing and he goes onto his side now and again.

Could he be on his way out

The fish looked tired? Sounds like it was unhealthy from the get go. Always try to purchase fish that are alert, active, have good color and eating.

Please try to annswer as many of these questions as possible...

1. How long have you had the fish? Do you know if it was wild caught, or tank raised?
2. How long has the fish been in the tank? What are the tank mates? Any aggression?
3. Is the fish eating? If so what does it eat?
4. What are the water parameters? pH, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, SPG? (actual numbers please: posting high, average or normal is not helpful) What saltwater test kit are you using?
5. Is the fish showing any physical signs of disease, grain of salt size spots, discoloration, ragged fins, misting or spots on the fins, cuts, cloudy eyes, etc?
6. Is the fish "flashing" (scratching or rubbing on rocks, decorations or substrate)?
7. How is the fish acting? Is it swimming around, or just hovering in one spot or corner of the tank?
8. Did you use quarantine? If so for how long and did you have a need to treat for any ailments? Is it in qt now? Are you currently treating with any medication(s)?
9. What size system? What type of filtration do you use? Do you have any live rock or sand?
10. Do you use any additives? Have you used any sort of meds in the main tank?

Cheers
Steve

1. How long have you had the fish? Do you know if it was wild caught, or tank raised?

Two days and as far as I know Tank raised.

2. How long has the fish been in the tank? What are the tank mates? Any aggression?

2 days now, no other fish.

3. Is the fish eating? If so what does it eat?

Yes he is eating the flakes the LFS gave me to feed him.

4. What are the water parameters? pH, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, SPG? (actual numbers please: posting high, average or normal is not helpful) What saltwater test kit are you using?

PH = 8.1
ammonia = 0
nitrite = 0
nitrate = 10ppm

and I am using a liquid test kit

5. Is the fish showing any physical signs of disease, grain of salt size spots, discoloration, ragged fins, misting or spots on the fins, cuts, cloudy eyes, etc?

No signs of disease

6. Is the fish "flashing" (scratching or rubbing on rocks, decorations or substrate)?

Nope

7. How is the fish acting? Is it swimming around, or just hovering in one spot or corner of the tank?

just hovering in one spot or corner of the tank

8. Did you use quarantine? If so for how long and did you have a need to treat for any ailments? Is it in qt now? Are you currently treating with any medication(s)?

Not in quarantine he is the only fish in the tank.

9. What size system? What type of filtration do you use? Do you have any live rock or sand?

30gal with a canister filter and an extra powerhead. with live rock.

10. Do you use any additives? Have you used any sort of meds in the main tank?

none

By the sounds of the the fish is just stressed. Depending on the species of damsel, they can be a bit of a nervous fish. Try a good sized water change with well aged/aerated SW to be sure there's nothing amiss there. Also leave the lights off a few days if possible. Both will help with easing the stress of the fish.

Have you done a good size water change since the tank cycled?

Cheers
Steve

I would do another two x 20% a day or so apart.. Typically around 50% is recommended after the cycle to get the chem back in order before animals are added.

Cheers
Steve

Ok i have decided i am going to call the damsel "lucky" cause he looks much better now, i will do those water changes it can only be a good idea.

Thanks allot you guys and thanks for this wonderful site it is very helpful, i might be getting a raise in about two weeks then i will definitely donate a little bit to you guys :mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom