Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-04-2003, 11:02 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Damsel with ich?

I have a black and white striped damsel and i've had it for like 3 weeks now. It looks like it has white spots all over its fins and they look chewed up. I've never heard of damsels with ich. Think it's ich? The other two damsels seem fine. Maybe the other damsels are going after it? But there are sort of white spots. Any idea what it is? How do I treat it? Should I give him the flush?

Old 11-04-2003, 11:17 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Newbie

One time a pet store had us dip a fish for 30 seconds in fresh water to kill the ich that was on it. It worked, you might want to try it.

Old 11-04-2003, 11:45 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

is this ich?
Old 11-05-2003, 01:19 AM   #4
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamselnDistress
is this ich?
Yes!

FW dips are effective at removing the trophonts attached to the fish but will do nothing to treat the tank. The "attached" stage is only one of three so you are basically only paying attention to 1/3 of the problem.

Quarantining all the fish in the display tank and treating them with hyposalinity or copperin a sepeate tank is the best course of action. Once all the fish are being treated, the display tank can then be left fallow for 4+ weeks to ensure the parasites die out naturally without the need for further treatments.

It also looks like it has a secondary bacterial/fungal infection so a gram negative anti-biotic would be good as well.

Cheers
Steve
Old 11-05-2003, 11:38 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

did the fresh water dip....doesn't look like anything came off the fish. Does it take a while? I'll work on the quarentine tank today.
Old 11-05-2003, 12:32 PM   #6
steve-s

Only the little white dots on the fish will be affected by the FW dip. Those are the parasite trophonts. The "fluffy" bits all about the damsel are fungus and will need to be treated with an anti-biotic.

Once the QT is up and running, both can be easily treated!

Cheers
Steve
Old 11-05-2003, 03:56 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

Ok I went to the LFS and they had a deal for a 10 gallon tank, a Hagen Aquaclear filter for up to 20 gallons, and a 50 watt heater, and a stick on thermometer for 30 bucks. They also included a net, dechlorinator, and a small container of fish food in the package too. Set it up and used the cardboard box the aquarium came in to make a cover for the top and did some ghetto decorating with this base from a lego set and some tiger woods bobble head dolls....tiger tiger woods ya'll haha. So i put my sick fish in there and the lfs suggested some sea cure copper treatment. Sound ok?
Old 11-05-2003, 06:05 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to TriggerHappy Send a message via MSN to TriggerHappy Send a message via Yahoo to TriggerHappy
hey damsel, i think we have the same prob. I have a trigger that shows signs of ich. I just got a 10 gal too for a qt tank. are you using cupramine, or what kind of medication? Let me know how it goes. Im gonna set up my qt tank tonite.

Tank Setup
Niger Trigger
Maroon Clown
BiColor Angel
P-H 8.2 Ammonia 0 Nitrite 0 Nitrate 10-15ppm
Crushed Coral 60lbs
1 MaxiJet 1200 PH, 1 ZooMed PH, XP2 Filstar

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. They wake up in the morning and that's the best they're going to feel all day."
Dean Martin.
TriggerHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2003, 09:13 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

i'm using sea cure copper treatment. Hopefully your trigger is ok...i'd have to have a 20 dollar fish...or 60 dollar fish (if its a clown trigger) with ich. I also heard copper safe was good for it.
Old 11-05-2003, 10:20 PM   #10
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamselnDistress
i'm using sea cure copper treatment
Chelated copper treatments tend to work better and are less stressful that their ionic conterparts but the "SeaCure" should still be effective. Be sure to follow the manufacturers directions and properly test 2x a day to be sure the proper levels are maintained and you should be fine.

Be sure to monitor for NH3 and NO2 levels with a new QT and do the neccessary water changes if they get to high. Remember with new water need to maintain the copper levels if so...

Cheers
Steve

Tags
damsel, ich

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com