Damsels causing Distress

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

knuff27

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello all,

I have recently finished cycling and have started the post cycling cleaning with inverts i.e. snails, hermits, shrimp etc. In addition I just recently purchased two percs to add to the two humbug damsels with which I cycled. I now realize that I probably should not have used the damsels for the cycle, but it is my first tank and you learn from your mistakes right? Anyway, the damsels are very territorial and going after the clowns periodically. I would love to give them back to the lfs, but I can't catch the damn things without tearing my tank apart. I have moved the live rock around a little to confuse the damsels and hopefully decrease their territoriality, but they are still pretty mean. Any ideas on trying to catch these things without tearing the tank apart or better yet, helping them live fairly peacefully with the clowns. thanks in advance.

stick a fishing pole with some power bait or a small peice of hotdog on the end, go sit on the couch with the pole and wait. :mrgreen:

actually, you can try to starve them for a day or three and bait them with food in one hand and a net in the other, but it doesnt work all the time and it takes a lot of patience :(

if your not attached to your rock work, tear it apart. Short of that try a fish trap... may take a couple days but they will get em. Worth the 10-20 bucks if you are happy with the scenery.

But this is a good example of why you dont cycle a tank with damsels. Hopefully others will learn from your mistake.

Most damsels are nasty little fish, I like you learned the hard way... My LFS says you can have 7-10 yellow tail damsels in your 125 and they will not bother anyone.. Well several dead fish later and out some $$$ the 7 YTD were still alive and my other smaller fish DEAD. After 3 years I have 2 left and there still mean little buggers..
fish trap would be a good place to start then take the LR out if that does not work.

damsels are mean.... If you can (and i know this sounds mean :p) But see if the store where you bought them from would take them back for an in-store credit of some kind.

I have one domino damsel which i used to start cycling my tank, and thats all right now.. (stupid lionfish died on me) and no more damsel fish. I see enough mean ones at work :p

Thanks for the advice. I learned not to cycle with those SOBs. I took out the rockwork and caught the culprits in about 20 min. and will take them back to the lfs.

Btw, I did like the hotdog idea and would have done it had I any Ballpark franks on hand.

I can't believe my small yellow tail attacks my Humu-humu trigger 5 times its size. I do not like damsels at all it a community tank. Even my porcupine puffs up over them. And it seems to be a very calm porcupine puffer to begin with.

Is there any predatorial fish that can get rid of them in the tank?

I learned about the cycling too. We should form a "Don't Cycle with Damsel" Coalition. :p

Back
Top Bottom