damsels killing fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pluk1992

Aquarium Advice Activist
i have three damsels different types i was told they would mix well with other fish but the damsels are the only fish that live when i put other fish they seem to die within a day should i get rid of the damsels the one even attacked a snail

YES! Get rid of the Devil Damsels... :evil:

I got rid of all of mine except a yellow tailes damsel. It gets along great with all the other fish. :wink:

ill get rid of those damsels but im still hesitant about putting more fish in my levels all look ok to me and the damsels lived so i dont know if its the damsels killing the others or if the water is all out of wack the clown fish i bought was i woke up and the anenome had it i thought clowns and anenomes were like peas in a pod i guess i was wrong

ill get rid of those damsels but im still hesitant about putting more fish in my levels all look ok to me and the damsels lived so i dont know if its the damsels killing the others or if the water is all out of wack the clown fish i bought was i woke up and the anenome had it i thought clowns and anenomes were like peas in a pod i guess i was wrong

I previously had domino damsels, they were evil! I am very happy with the green cromos ones I have now. They school together and do not bother anything.

pluk1992 said:
i have three damsels different types i was told they would mix well with other fish but the damsels are the only fish that live when i put other fish they seem to die within a day should i get rid of the damsels the one even attacked a snail

Dump the damsels, they're nothing but a pain IMO. Green chromis are ok like JPloman said, but others for the most part can be quite mean.

Also, if your LFS told you that, dump them too and find a better one. If they don't know the basics about damsels, they sure won't know much about anything else in the hobby.

Just out of curiosity, how big is your tank?

BTW, Welcome to AA!! :invasion: :band: :invasion:

Depends on the species of damsel. Mine is the perfect gentleman, in fact I waited almost a year for this particular species to come in. He's a great fish.
This is just my own thought, but it appears to me that damsels can be kind of like wolves. They seen to develop a pack mentality when there is a group of them.
I see many people that are OK with one and the folks that seem to have the most problems are the ones with 2 or more....maybe I'm off, but thats how I see it.

quarryshark said:
Depends on the species of damsel.

I said:
but others for the most part can be quite mean.

Oh I know. That's why I added "for the most part". :wink:

And I agree, there are a few different species that can be great, but you can't trust them all.

Oh I know. That's why I added "for the most part".
Missed that.... :oops:

I was just making a general statement, definitely not trying to contradict you. :wink:

While damsels are pretty mean little buggers, You may more of an issue going on here. Generally a damsel will nip at the fins of another fish until it is unable to swim well, they will then pick on it unit they (or stress) kil the fish. This will ussually take more then a day. The fact all of your fis are dying in one day leads me to suspect either poor water parameters or a poor acclimation proceedure. Can you post your current water parameters (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, Ph, SG, temp)? How long has the tank been running, how big is it and what fish have you lost? It is possible that the damsels are the root of the problem, but try not to get tunnel vision. You need to rule out some other options as well.

Back
Top Bottom