Dark coloured Algae ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gstewart

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi i have a second hand marine setup that came with some livestock and is showing good readings. I am noticing the sand is getting covered in a dark brown almost black layer - if you disturb the sand and break the algae up it looks like charcoal from a fire in its appearance - its just a quick post to see what it is and if i need to do anything to stop it ?

Also i added a Blue starfish recently and he doesn't look very well. the first i noticed is apparently they can leave there stomachs with the food they are eating and grow new ones - which happened - it became dis attached from its body, then where the stomach was resting on the starfish when i moved it it left behind a white colouring - almost as if the old stomach was rotting and the body was rotting too ?? i then noticed a gash on him but do not know where this came from.

i have 2 yellow chromis, 1 blue damsel, 1 mono ( brackish ) , 1 blood shrimp and 3 turbo snails.. none of them have bothered him.

any help appreciated... :(

Sounds like the algae could be a combination of diatoms and cyano. Both can easily get started if using impure water for top offs/changes especially if using tap water. Excessive feedings and meaty foods will also help fuel the cyano and silicates will be the primary source for the diatomes. If all your nitrogen numbers are 0, then something is being introduced.

The starfish sounds like it is suffering from acclimation shock. The white "gash" is usually the first sign. How did you acclimate the star to the tank and for how long?

Cheers
Steve

Steve Hi,

i have recently found this out about acclimating the poor fella. I also posted that question in the sick fish section.

Unfortunately i was not told this by the lfs unusual as they are very good..maybe they thought i would know this.

He was introduced in the bag for about 10mins..

Ok so what happens next do they heal ?

As for the algae - it was a 50% water change with dechlorinated water about two weeks ago so would explain things...need to do some RO changes again then !

Thanks
Gary

RO water would definately help. I would also suggest a high quality granular PO4 sponge for a few days as well. It will help get rid of the remaining PO4 as well as picking up the silicates. Remember, water source is not the only place that these elements can be introduced. Foods are just as nasty at introducing PO4 (not silicates), meaty foods being the highest offenders.

Unfortunately the star may not recover. Once the deterioration starts, it rarely stops. Hopefully you will not have that happen but there is no way of correcting the problem. Drip acclimation for inverts is always the best method and will greatly improve the odds of success when introducing them...

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom