Dead anemone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AshaKayx3

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey! I've had bought 2 anemones about 2 months ago. They were both doing good but then within the past 2 weeks I noticed they were both staying deflated and hidden. I took the one that was doing worse out and put in QT tank. It started shriveling up even more. I now that it is completely dead... see attached pic.

1. Type & how long you have had it: I think a condy, about 2 months
2. Current lighting & Bulb Age: month old fluval marine and reef
3. Nitrate: 10
4. Calcium: 450
6. Alkalinity: 214.8
7. pH: 8.2
8. Salinity: 1.021
9. Temperature: 76f
10. Liquid or strip test kits: liquid
11. Location in tank: hidden under rocks in main tank but moved to QT
12. Current amount of flow: in QT, just the filter
13. Current tank dosing regimen: Mg and calcium
14. Nearby coral: star polyp20170508_130031.jpg

You shouldn't have moved the anemone. They will sometimes shrivel up like that once and awhile.
I'm not sold on your lighting being strong enough to keep anemone alive nor that your tank is mature enough to have the stability that sensitive creatures like anemone need to survive.

I've had the tank up and running for about 4 months. And I was told the fluval light is very good.

There is a difference between a good light and it supplying enough PAR and PUR. If the light provided isn't usable light, then it is meaningless to photosynthetic creatures. I try my hardest not to nerd out and go above most people's heads with this stuff, but they need a a specific spectrum to be able to use the light. It then needs to be intense enough to provide enough of the usable light.
It gets very confusing when it comes to LEDs. How much power that is provided to them has some input in terms of usable, but it isn't everything. One could say that 3 watt LEDs will provide enough intense lighting...but it isn't a valid statement either.
When it comes to stability and parameters, it takes 6 months to a year for a system to mature enough to provide the stability for an anemone. Until that is done, there can be swings and even mini cycles as things go with the flow of maturity of the system.
I really hope I haven't confused you with all of that. I'm trying not to go too hard at it since it is so much to swallow.

Back
Top Bottom