Dead Bettas, but new Hope for Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nugrad2005

Aquarium Advice Activist
So the two bettas we had in our 3g eclipse tank both perished. It was really sad, but we want to now turn the tank into a little nano reef/little salt water tank.

Its my girlfriends tank and she fell in love with some of the corals at the fish store. Are there particular corals that are better than others for a nanoreef? What kinds CAN'T be put in? Is it possible to put a damsel in? She really likes domino damsels and since there would only be one it seems like it would be okay. She also wants some little shrimp. We've got some cleaners, fire shrimp, and peppermints in the big tank. Any one of those better than other. I personally think fire shrimp are the best looking.

I'm going to get her a couple inches worth of sand and probably a bag or so of live sand and about 10 pounds of live rock, basically just a nice piece that'll fit in. Thats the part i know, filters, live rock live sand, thats the easy stuff(well kind of).

If anyone that has a nanoreef could either post here or PM would i really appreciate it, i want to find out as much as possible about them.

-Dan

Are there particular corals that are better than others for a nanoreef?

Depending on the lighting, yes ther is. I would recommend mushrooms and little else for that particular tank. Maybe a couple of soft corals.

What kinds CAN'T be put in?

I wouldn't put in any LPS or SPS corals and most of the softies.

Is it possible to put a damsel in? She really likes domino damsels and since there would only be one it seems like it would be okay.

You could put 1 damsel in, but I wouldn't go with a dominoe they get pretty large, maybe a yellow tail.

Any one of those better than other.

Probably the cleaner shrimp, however you should be careful, small tanks can bring out unexpected and aberrant behavior in some of our animals.

just my opinion . .. you should op for a bigger tank than a 5g salt.

i think my 55 is just minimal for the fish for i want them to have as much room as possible without feeling like they are imprissioned as they are.

just m/o/i

Back
Top Bottom