dead cleaner shrimp after only hours in my new tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Edmonton Eskimo

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Well hello! This is my very first post on this site. I just got my first fish today. I picked up two ocellaris clowns and a cleaner shrimp. Good news on the clowns but my shrimp is dead after being in the tank for only 3 hours. This is my first saltwater tank so I made sure to ask the guy at my lfs all kinds of questions. I'm not completely lost as I have done a lot of reading and so forth before buying anything. All my water parameters are exactly where they should be so what the heck? I paid forty bucks for that shrimp :evil: In hindsite I did notice a couple of the shrimp in the tank at the lfs appeared to be dead but I wasn't sure. Maybe it was doomed before I even got it. Any comments or experience would be greatly appreciated!

Welcome
Could you post all water parameters and tank set up
many lfs have a return policy. If you bring in the deceased and a water sample for them to test. Inverts should be drip acclimated. put the envert in a container and run a 1/4 in air tubing from main tank and tie a knot in the line to reduce flow to 1 or 2 drips per second. I usually drip for 3-6 hours depending on species and how hardy they are.

It's almost certainly an acclimation issue.

Atari said:
It's almost certainly an acclimation issue.

I agree shrimp need to be acclimated very very slow. I have seen them die with in seconds after hitting the water when they weren't acclimated long enough.

so what do I have to do. I put the bag in the tank for about an hour and then I opened the bag and put a little water in there waited a while and put some more water in and so forth. Is this going to work? Now you guys have me nervous.

I always drip acclimate everything to my tanks. I put a little heater in a bucket below the tank and use a piece of airline hose with a knot it in to slowly drip water. I increase the drip rate every 10-15 minutes or so and vary the acclimatin time depending on what I"m adding to the tank.

well He's in the tank. I acclimated it very slowly(about 2.5 hours) slowly adding water a little at a time. I really hope everything is ok. wish me luck!?

i had a fire shrimp die after 3 days water was good put him in slowly he was even eating and running aroung like crazy and bang dead (must have been his heart) so i got a peppermint shrimp 2 weeks later and the little bastard is gonna live forever should have just bought anothe fire shrimp instead of cheeping out oh well

As others have said proper acclimation is #1 when adding things to the tank. I check the salinity(SG) of the LFS water then check mine...... I put the fish & water from the LFS in a bowl and then drip, checking after the first hour. If the water in the bowl is not the same as my tank I check every 30 min after that. A slow drip is a good thing. One LFS in my area has his SG at 1.015 my reef is a 1.025 so I have to drip his stuff for at least 3 hours...... I have found that if things die within 3 days it was due to poor acclimation..... JMO
Good luck

Thanks guys. I did find out that my salinity was too low for inverts. Mine was at 1.022 and I guess it should have been 1.025. I was really dissapointed with the guy at my lfs. When the first shrimp died I asked him if there was anything I should do differently he just said take longer acclimatizing. By the way the other one died too. After the second death I went to another lfs and right away he told me it was probably a salinity problem and that I should have dripped them. The fish guys need to be more honest with people. If he would have told me that I wouldn't have one let alone 2 shrimp deaths!

Back
Top Bottom