Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-02-2004, 07:43 PM   #1
cj10488

Dead Cleaner shrimp and Sick looking Corals

Ok Everything has been fine in my tank for many many months now without issues.. Today when the lights came out I noticed one of my cleaners wasnt doing too well and corals didnt seem normal.. So I started running a battery of tests I tested Everything and seemed to find no issues
SG 35ppt
nitrite 0
Ammonia 0
nitrate 0
Ph 8.0
temp 80
Alk 3.51
CA 440

The Cleaner shrimp was in my tank for at least the last 2 months or so.. The other things that seem affected from this unknown is my Xenia seems not to be fully opening and bubble coral seems to be hurting and well as the Toadstool is not really doing well which it seems as though it hasnt lately and the Frogspawn looks wierd.. All SPS seem fine.. and the Carpet Anemone and fish and other cleaner shrimp seem fine.. Can anyone think of anything that might be going on...

TIA,
James
Old 01-02-2004, 08:55 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Do you run GAC?

Wasn't the carpet a recent addition?

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2004, 10:02 PM   #3
cj10488

Quote:
Do you run GAC?
I have been running Seachems Purigen.. I took it out this Afternoon.. Should I get some GAC and Run It.. I won't Be able to until tomorrow..

Quote:
Wasn't the carpet a recent addition?
Carpet has been in the tank for about a month now.. It seems to be healthy and fine..

The only thing recent that I can think of that might be affecting this was increased sump size therefor increased water volume. And I switched salts over to Crystal Seas MarineMix.. The change was done Extremely slow and cautious

James
Old 01-02-2004, 11:33 PM   #4
cj10488

Ok I found some GAC and my old Magnum 350.. I threw the Mag 350 on the tank along with the GAC inside of the Mag350 so that should get the tank cycled thru the GAC pretty quickly.. I have some water Preparing for a major water change if It doesnt pull thru with the GAC... It seems as though some of the stuff might be coming back slowly.. Cross ya fingers..

James
Old 01-03-2004, 12:31 AM   #5
cj10488

Well I did a 50% water change and have started to run GAC with a Attitude.. It seems funny that when I was changing out my water there was a pretty strong smell of Chlorine.. There is no Chlorine products in my house so I know it wasnt put in by anyone here.. Could this have been something that got in there from the Rubbermaid sump??? I mean I rinsed it really well but I did not scrub it.. I did go ahead and scrubbed the **** out of it and the smell is gone now... The Salt that I also use has a Dechlorinator in it as well so hopefully if that was the issue that it is now corrected.. I will be running GAC for the Next few days thru the Magnum 350 as well as be doing a few more 50% water changes over the next week or so depending on how everything looks.. Now If I loose everything someone is gonna have to be sending me some frags lol.. Trying to brighten up my day a bit lol... I will make sure to keep you all informed...

James
Old 01-03-2004, 03:46 AM   #6
steve-s

Might be an idea to add some Prime or other dechlorinator to the tank as well. Dilution is the best bet but it won't hurt, especially if chloramines are also present...

Cheers
Steve
Old 01-03-2004, 07:17 AM   #7
cj10488

Quote:
changing out my water there was a pretty strong smell of Chlorine.
Quote:
Might be an idea to add some Prime or other dechlorinator to the tank as well
I am kinda thinking that wasnt the issue or a problem.. Has anyone had any issues with rubbermaid products at all??? I am removing my homemade sump as that is when problems started to happen..

James
Old 01-03-2004, 07:22 AM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

I've heard of some issues...but I've never experienced them. There is always the possibility that something nasty made it into the tub while it was still at the store.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2004, 08:46 AM   #9
cj10488

Quote:
There is always the possibility that something nasty made it into the tub while it was still at the store.
Well its 4:30am here and I have been up since 8am yesterday.. I have eliminated my 50gal sump and put the wet/dry (sump) back into use and lost alot of volume during that and learned that I will not try that one again.. I believe the tub was leaching something into the water.. After doing a 50% water change after about 5 hours the strong chlorine like smell was back.. I did another major 60-75% water change in hopes that some of the corals will make it.. The fish seem to be ok so far.. So far the losses are my entire Xenia crop, Prego blue-legged Pistol shrimp (kinda Noisy anyways), and a Cleaner Shrimp... I will never again trust another Rubbermaid tub... I know thats was the issue to.. Never any problems until I added that thing less than a week ago... Anyways I hope that everything else makes it ok.. Some of the corals seem to be doing alright... My Acropora showed no signs of pain as well as any of the montiporas.. What a Way to kick off the New Year...

Anyone in Oregon have a nice crop of Xenia they wanna donate???

Hopes for a Better day tomorrow,
James
Old 01-03-2004, 11:31 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to astride13
I have an old Magnum 350 also. When I get any new tub or anything I rinse it as well as I can then fill it with RO and run the canister with GAC for a few days.

As for the xenia, did it completely melt? That stuff will normally grow out of anything left.

Tags
clean, cleaner, cleaner shrimp, coral, corals, dead, ick, rim, shrimp, sick

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com