Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 03-10-2004, 10:21 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Dead Coral

What is the safest way to clean my coral. I have an dead coral with fish only. Someone said to use bleach and then rinse, let set for a day or two and out back in. Is this true? I need to get some heavy stains off.

dduaneg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 10:45 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
I will tell you what we do with our dead coral we sell in our store to clean it. When it gets dusty and dirty sitting out on shelves we soak it for 24-48 hours in 100% chlorine. This whitens it back up nicely. Then we soak it in fresh water for another 24-48 hours to make sure all the chlorine was removed and it goes back on the shelves.

If I were doing it for a tank I would probably do about the same thing except I would dilute the chlorine to perhaps 50% or even less. Then I would soak it in FW while using a dechlorinator and then soak it FW again after that.

Biggen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2004, 03:50 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
I used to bleach the coral skeletons at the LFS that I worked at. Its pretty easy. A cap full of bleach at most per 5 gallons. Let it sit till its white. The key to getting it out is heat. Heat breaks down bleach. Thats why you bleach your whites in cold and thats why fast food chains rinse in the hottest water possible (or they are suppose to). Anyway..I digress. Bleach them...Then put them in a pan and put them in the oven on 200-250 for a few minutes. If it gets hot during the summer, you can actually lay them out in the sun and it will do the job. If your a little leary the first few times. Put them back in some water for an hour and test the water for Ammonia. If you read zero..your good. Piece of cake!

175gallon reef

5,100 gal pond

Fish are people too!
SquishyFish is offline   Reply With Quote

coral, dead

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com