Dead Coral

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dduaneg

Aquarium Advice Newbie
What is the safest way to clean my coral. I have an dead coral with fish only. Someone said to use bleach and then rinse, let set for a day or two and out back in. Is this true? I need to get some heavy stains off.

Thanks

I will tell you what we do with our dead coral we sell in our store to clean it. When it gets dusty and dirty sitting out on shelves we soak it for 24-48 hours in 100% chlorine. This whitens it back up nicely. Then we soak it in fresh water for another 24-48 hours to make sure all the chlorine was removed and it goes back on the shelves.

If I were doing it for a tank I would probably do about the same thing except I would dilute the chlorine to perhaps 50% or even less. Then I would soak it in FW while using a dechlorinator and then soak it FW again after that.

I used to bleach the coral skeletons at the LFS that I worked at. Its pretty easy. A cap full of bleach at most per 5 gallons. Let it sit till its white. The key to getting it out is heat. Heat breaks down bleach. Thats why you bleach your whites in cold and thats why fast food chains rinse in the hottest water possible (or they are suppose to). Anyway..I digress. Bleach them...Then put them in a pan and put them in the oven on 200-250 for a few minutes. If it gets hot during the summer, you can actually lay them out in the sun and it will do the job. If your a little leary the first few times. Put them back in some water for an hour and test the water for Ammonia. If you read zero..your good. :mrgreen: Piece of cake!

Back
Top Bottom