Dead Crab

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i'd be concerned about missing crabs.

The only time my hermits have EVER disappeared from view, is when one got himself wedged in the rocks and couldn't get out.

after a day of not seeing him, I went in looking for him and found him wedged in rather tightly.

I'm going to get some more hermits tomorrow.

The 5 I've already got (4 blues and 1 red) are small, and I'm intending getting another 5 small ones (4 red and 1 blue) and perhaps 1 or 2 substantially bigger ones (blue or red).

Will the big and small ones get on ok??

Nope, almost certainly gonna have casualties that way. Better off sticking with one or the other in a small tank.

I'm getting another 5 (small ones!!) tomorrow!

Where do you get your crabs/snails/shrimps from here in the UK? is it your LFS or do you mail order?

MY LFS is good, but slow to get anything you want & I feel the more different places you go to then the more likely you are to have something go wrong :(

Cheers Shelton.

My LFS - I haven't found anywhere mail order yet for livestock!

My LFS is also slow to get anything, and they rarely have crabs or shrimp in at all! But occassionally some really nice fish turn up or they get something interesting in - it's only 30 secs up the road so it's very convenient - patience is a virtue I guess :p

Do you know anywhere in the UK that does mail order?

Hehehehehe, seems they are all alike :)

My LFS got a peppermint in the other day, nearly took his hand off for it, plus it was £5 cheaper than I've seen them forsale online!

I've seen various places that do online mailorder, but most want atleast 2 to 3 items ordered, plus without reccommendations I wouldn't know whether to trust them?

Of course the thing that bothers me it that what ever you order will have been in a little plastic bag for roughly 12 hours by the the time you receive it next morning & thats then without the 1½ ish to then acclimatise it to your tank?

Going for a trip to a not so LFS (about 2 hours away) as I have heard good things about them & they have LOTS of marine stock, just got to keep my willpower in check & not buy any fish, just crabs snails & shrimps :oops:

Cheers Shelton.

Mark, I would always buy livestock from the LFS, but if you can't find what you need then there are a couple places that I can recommend. Unfortunately I've yet to find an online retailer that both sells fish AND has an appealing/usable website. For a nice selection of clean-up type critters try UDA. For corals I would say STM is a good one, and possibly TOW when they actually have something in stock. Oh and if you ever feel the need to try clams then Clams.co.uk.

Thanks!

Are there any mail-order places in the UK that do fish??

I've seen a couple when searching around Google. But neither had pictures or descriptions for the fish, and one didn't even have prices. It's really quite poor considering how many good American sites there are.

MarkW19 said:
Thanks!

Are there any mail-order places in the UK that do fish??

Maybe start this question as a new thread & see whether any of the other UK based peeps pick up on it?

I know I'd like to know :)

Off to "Anglia Aquatics" near Norwich tomorrow, they are supposed to be good & although they don't show livestock on their website I'll ask them about it.....

Cheers Shelton.

I've just found a dead crab at the back of the tank (definitely not a molt - I've seen a few of these now), shell-less.

Should I take him out or keep him in?

I found a dead crab (hitchhiker) the other day, I took him out since I have a small tank & the inhabitants get fed everyday anyways....

*edit* F.Y.I that vist to Anglia Aquatics was really a waste, they had just moved & were more interested in setting up thier new tanks than asnwering my questions! not only that I bought 6 turbo's off them & when I got home I found that 3 of them were just empty shells!!

Found this great little shop, happens to be 30mins away from where I live, run by a guy who started as just a hobby & is finally hoping to go full time just before christmas:

http://www.coralgarden.co.uk/about2.htm

Cheers Shelton.

Cheers Shelton - I've left the crab in overnight, should I really worry about getting it out in the morning (ammonia etc.)?

I suppose it depends on the size of the dead crab, what sort of cleanup crew you have & whether you have long tongs/don't mind getting your arm wet!! 8)

Cheers Shelton.

It's a smallish hermit crab, I have 10 other small hermits.

There's a bit of him left...OK to leave him in there?

If there's not alot left the other crabs should clean it up, no shrimps yet?

P.S. Did you get my PM?

Cheers Shelton.

Fire Shrimp :)

I did get your PM - looks like a good site :)

Back
Top Bottom