Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 10-21-2004, 09:31 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Dead DT'S ?

Hi everyone, today I bought a bottle of phytoplankton and the smell was odd. I have been feeding with DT'S for some time now, normally I buy the 15oz bottle but today bought the large bottle. The date on it is 12/15/04. The smell is not overpowering as the bottle says it would be (if it was dead), it smells like sulfur ( bad eggs), however it is not extremely strong. Would the larger bottle smell differant than the smaller? I do not want to feed with dead plankton. Thanks for any input you might have

pawnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2004, 08:47 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
The larger bottle should not smell differnt than the smaller bottle. One thing I hate about descriptive words like 'overpowering' ect is thta everyone has their own sensitity. I know someone who would probbly lose their lunch with the bad egg smell you describe. If this bottle hasnt been kept cool then there is a good chance the phyto is not good.

Remember dont tap the glass, your fish will think you're an idiot -Anonymous mother

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2004, 08:48 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak
Sounds like its off, better to take it back & change to be on the safe side?

Cheers Shelton.
30gal tank, 20kgs Fiji + 4kgs Madagascan LR, bare bottom, 2 x Maxijets 900, AquaC Remora skimmer, 10W D&D UV using a spraybar on surface for return,Maxijet 600 + spraybar behind LR, Ecco 2234 running RowaPhos/GAC, 150w visitherm.
Custom Built lid; 2 x T5 megatwin (4x39W Aquablue+); 4 moonlights.

IKS with temp & PH probes, controlling lights,heat & cooling fans.

Percula Clown; Banggai Cardinal; Firefish; Mandarin
2 Cleaner Shrimps; 3 Peppermint Shrimps; 1 Blood Shrimp
1 Large Feather Duster; 1 Hard Tube Coco Worm; Yellow Cucumber.
6 Red Legged Hermits; 1 Green Emerald Crab; 16 Dwarf Blue Leg Hermits; 3 Zebra Hermits; 3 Popsock Hermits
22 Turbo/Astrae Snails; 20 IO Snails
Shultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2004, 09:01 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

I sniffed the bottle at the LFS and it smelled like mine. I was worried too. Then, I left it out overnite accidently and boy, did it smell different then. Still, both smells (the good and the bad) are ruff IMO. Tuff call. Take it back and go over it withe the lFS. Smell theirs if they've got some opened. Or make'm open one for you maybe.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2004, 12:28 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Thanks for all of the info. I took it back and exchanged it today. Pretty sure it was bad
pawnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2004, 04:36 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've noticed that different bottles of DTs tend to have that smell to different levels. At best, I've had new bottles of DTs that have no smell whatsoever...none. I think that would be the best case.

As some of the plankton dies, the smell just gets worse and worse.

After each use, I rinse out the bottle cap so there is no plankton drying up in the lid. That reduces the smell so that I can really detect when it is truly going bad.

I think it is just a question of how bad it gets before you decide it is so bad that you shouldn't use it anymore.

Purchase the smaller bottles and use them up quicker...

Brad is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com