Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-25-2005, 04:23 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Dead/dying scallops

Just returned from weekend of camping and one of my scallops is dead and the larger is opened wide and dying.

Of course I will test water, but everything looked great all week long since I switched tanks last weekend. Otherwise the tank looks fine now.

Only thing that comes to mind is I feed some DT phytoplankton on Friday before I left. I had just purcahsed it and when I opened it I noticed a slight sulfer smell. Expiration is 1 Dec 2005. Is this normal for phytopalnton? If not I suspect it as the culprit.

Either way I am removing what is left of flame scallop and conducting a pwc.

Tank: 90 Gal SW Reef in the making

See my info for setup and inhabitant details:
afilter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 04:25 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to flamingonhot Send a message via Yahoo to flamingonhot
who knows? flame scallops have a bad survival rate in aquariums to begin with.

Old 09-25-2005, 04:48 PM   #3
steve-s

Phytoplankton shouldn't smell like sulphur. It has gone "off". I would suggest next time you buy some, open it at the register before you pay. More often than not they go bad quickly from heat abuse/improper storage. One reason I switched to LiquidLife.

Make sure you check all the water specs to be sure they are inline. Wouldn't hurt to do a few water changes as well.

How long have you had the scallop and what else is used for feeding besides the DT's?

Cheers
Steve
Old 09-25-2005, 05:05 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have had these scallops about 6 months. Feed phytopplankton, marine snow, cyclopese. Also feed fish greenlife line, daphnia, mysis, krill, angel formula along with occassional marine dry flake and pellets.

Old 09-26-2005, 10:43 AM   #5
steve-s

How about the water parameters?

I should also ask how the angel and inverts are around it?

Cheers
Steve
Old 09-26-2005, 10:51 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Water all checked out good. I did a pwc. Filter media I have in the overflow spout was clogged and was reducing flow rate, so I removed it. Probably will not put it back.

On closer examination of the small scallop it was not dead, just upside down on the tank bottom. Possibly overreacted a tad.

I direct feed both cyclopese and the smaller one opened up a little. The larger did close a bit, but you can see the mantle has receded a bit in the shell. I am hoping it will come back.

As for angels and inverts I have never seen them interact with the scallops at all.

I know scallops are tricky in an aquarium, but I have had limited success with them in the past.

Old 09-26-2005, 10:58 AM   #7
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by afilter
I direct feed both cyclopese and the smaller one opened up a little. The larger did close a bit, but you can see the mantle has receded a bit in the shell. I am hoping it will come back.
Sweetwater zooplankton would also be a good addition if you can find it as would oyster eggs and rotifers. Variety and ranging micron sizes are the key with this animal. Just be mondful that your water changes keep up with food additions. These guys won't tolerate much in terms of lessened water quality.

Please be sure to check the chemistry alk/Ca and such. Receding mantles are often chemistry related.

Cheers
Steve

Tags
dead, dyi, dying, scallop

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com