Dead feather duster??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Budda619

Aquarium Advice Freak
Last night i came home to my feather duster out of his tube. My emerald crab was eating it...
I scared the crab away and pushed the feather duster body in a cave. About a week earlier its tube was facing a LR. He probably left his home because of that. Here is my question.

If the FD was relocating, will the feathers still be attached while hes moving? Or does he shed his crown before attempting to move? Or both?
I am contemplating if i should remove him, or will he grow back his body and tube. Theres still about two inches of body left.
Do i also remove the tube? Its quite transparent and i see no life inside. Thank you fam.

If you have a tank with excellent water quality you may have difficulty raising large filter feeders like feather dusters. I had one do very well in my first tank with a filter and hob refugium. My nitrates were elevated and the feather duster was doing great. When I set up a larger tank with sump I moved everything over. Nitrates were always at zero and the feather duster died within a month. I have since read that they, like many other filter feeders need less that pristine water to feed. I still have mini feather dusters and mini brittle stars, but even those populations have decreased by 75% I'd say.

Back
Top Bottom