Dead Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ReefRaff

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi all,
well with my father being in the hospital, and the bosses mother passing away, I have been slacking in water changes. It has been two weeks since my last water change, and three days ago my three blue chromis passed away. I did a water change of aprox 30%, but before that I tested the water and readings are as follows,

amonia 0.15 ppm
nitrite 0.5 ppm
nitrate 40+
Ph 8.1
sg 1.0265

it doesn't appear that my clown will make it because he has cloudy eyes and a white mucas all over him.

All the crabs, polyps, and snails seem ok.

I removed the filter pads from the HOB and was going to do another water change tommorow. I was also gonna stuff the HOB with some chem-pure.

I was wondering what you all think about the chem-pure?

Getting alot of skimmate also.

Thanks,
8O

it doesn't appear that my clown will make it because he has cloudy eyes and a white mucas all over him.

That sounds suspiciously like brooklynella, and very well could be what did the chromis in. While poor water quality can cause stress and weaken the fish making them more susceptible to disease and parasitic infestation, I hardly think two weeks is going to degrade the water quality enough to bring this on. I do water changes every two weeks and it's not a problem.
As for your ammonia and nitrite...look for something else dead, like snails or something.

I was wondering what you all think about the chem-pure?

I do not believe chmi-pure will reduce your ammonia or nitrite, but if there is alot of organics in the water or a toxin, it will pull them out.

well the clown did not make it. hypotheticly speaking, if it were the desiase you mentioned, how would my fish get it? I haven't introduced any new live stock in over a month. could it been from stress? due to the high nitrates? I would have thought the corals would have been more suseptable to the conditions.

Back
Top Bottom