Dead fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SkydiveGA

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I started my 20 gal salt water tank about a month ago. When i did i use live sand, about 20lbs of live rock and some jumpstart water stuff that i got from my local fish store! I let the tank cycle for about two weeks before i took my water in to my local fish store to have it tested. The water was said to be perfict. The amonia was good the nitrite and nitrate also. My salinity was at 1.023 also. I got five hermit crabs for my take and put them in that day. They did fine. So this past weekend i decided to try a clown fish. I got one clown and two turbo snails. I aclimated him like i was told to and put him in my tank. About two hours later my clown was dead. I took another sample of water in and they tested it and said every thing was good except my salinity was high at 1.027 and they said that was why my fish had died. So i got another clown fish went home got my salinity right once again aclimated like i was told and put him in the tank. About 6 hours later my fish was still alive and strong so i went to get another clown. Put another one in the tank and about 3 hours after that both of my fish are dead. But my water is said to be right?!? Any ideas. My tank now has lots of algie in it?

My guess is that the tank was not cycled. Once you put the clowns in then they produced waste which in turn turned to ammonia and killed your fish. That would also explain the algea growth. I would get your own test kit so you dont have to rely on what others tell you. Hopefully it will be OK in the future.

Do you think it could have been just bad fish? The tank at my local fish store did have 3 dead ones in the tank. And they all came from that tank.

I agree with getting your own kit. It's almost a necessity on saltwater.

it seems odd that fish are dying that quick with perfect water . If it was ammonia, then that should show when they are testing your water. Clowns tend to be pretty tough too...some people use them for fish-in cycling, so unless parameters are way off, they should be ok. How exactly are you acclimating your fish? How are you testing your salinity?

I would never buy a fish from a tank that had one dead fish, much less three in a tank. Also, I would go with one fish at a time in a smaller tank. Patience is another necessity in saltwater.

to accalimate i poke a very small hole in the bottom of a cup and put my water inside the cup so that it very slowly drips out in to the fish's natural water. I do this for about 30-45 mins. Ive herd many different ways but this to me seamed like the best way

I would also take a look at water agitation. In a 20 gallon tank, there won't be much margin for error in terms of making sure there's enough oxygenation.

I'd maybe stretch out the acclimation a little longer if your salinity is much different than your LFS. What is theirs and what is yours? Ive heard some stores run low as a disease prevention tactic. If yours is a lot higher, than maybe that is a problem?

+1 on the surface agitation possibility.

Do you think it could have been just bad fish? The tank at my local fish store did have 3 dead ones in the tank. And they all came from that tank.

if there were dead fish in the tank why would you even think about buying one from that tank
that should have thrown up a red flag

If my water had any heavy metals jn it what would my fish be doing?

I'm not sure exactly on the heavy metals answer. I'm sure someone will know though.

I was just looking back over this and saw that your salinity went from .023 to .027. We're you topping off water and if so, with what? fresh or salt? What are your current parameters?

If you are not using RO, distilled or RODI water, you will have dissolved solids in your water. Adds to algae problems and I'd imagine does no good for your fishes Gil's.

First you need to buy a test kit this is a must as others have sugested ..Yes heavy metals will kill fish you can use carbon to remove most heavy metals ..But I'd be willing to bet your tank is not cycled or the fish you purchased were not healthy....are the snails doing fine? They would go first if it was heavy metals ...

Yess my snails ane very healthy. I decited to try another clow this weekend and he is doin well

Clown* And when i say doing well he looks healthy and stuff but her stays in one corner and acts like hes scared! When he does leave the corner ge stays next to the glass. Is this normal at first or what?

Back
Top Bottom