Dead Mandarin Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

minotaur

Aquarium Advice Activist
I bought a mandarin at a lfs on Saturday. My tank is loaded with copapods. The mandarin was fat and had a very healthy color. On Sunday I noticed that its face was discolored. Almost like it was turning white. It sort of looked like it was shedding! On Monday it was dead and it was completely white.

Any ideas what in the world did him in?

I have a 29 gallon tank with a 10 gallon refugium. There is about 50 pounds of LR. The tank has been established for about a year. There are no other fish in the tank, but lots of inverts and corals.

Temp = 79, pH = 8.0, NO3 = 0, SG is good. I do 10% PWC weekly

Thanks for any help

How did you acclimate? PH is low. I am guessing no NO2? What is salinity? Any idea of salinity at LFS?

I floated the bag in the tank for 20 min., and then used drip method for another 45 min. NO2 is 0. SG measures 1.0235. I guess he still could have been shocked. I just never heard of anything going that was b4.

I have a 29 gallon tank with a 10 gallon refugium. There is about 50 pounds of LR. The tank has been established for about a year. There are no other fish in the tank, but lots of inverts and corals.

minotaur, ur tank is 1 year old and there's no fish in the tank? that's weird :D

I floated the bag in the tank for 20 min., and then used drip method for another 45 min
Most LFS keep their salinity at 1.018-1.019. A jump to 1.024 in 45 minutes would be really hard on a fish. A rapid drop is much easier on them than a rapid increase. When you go back to the store ask them about their water. If their water is around 1.019 I would do at least a 3 hour acclimation. Better yet have a qt set up with water that matches theirs.

Back
Top Bottom