Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-24-2002, 09:36 AM   #1
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
Dead Maroon Linkia's

I lost both of my maroon Linkia's yesterday. They had both been very very active, on the rocks, the glass. They were never physically near each other. Yesterday, I noticed that one did not look right at all, on closer inspection, discovered him dead between two pieces of liverock, the odd thing being that the other linkia was only about an inch away, also dead. There was evidence of some "picking" but it could have been done after the fact. Kind of hard to say as I work all day and did notsee. I do know that I have never seen any tank mate act hostile toward them before.

Old 10-24-2002, 10:12 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
As with any tragidey like this please give us water conditions as of as now. Items of interest will obviously be Ammoina, Nitrite, Nitrate, PH, Alk, Cal, Temp, SG

Only thing I know of linka stars is that they are extremly sensitive to salinity changes.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2002, 10:45 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to Bang Guy
To emphasize what Fishfreek said, even a large water change can bring on Osmotic Shock.
Old 10-24-2002, 04:00 PM   #4
Alf
Aquarium Advice Regular

In addition to Bang Guy and FF. They are also effected by temp. swings. How long have you had these?

See My Tanks through the links below:Have you Joined your Local Marine Club?? For The Dallas Fort Worth area, sign up at DFWMAS
Alf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2002, 11:02 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishfreek
As with any tragidey like this please give us water conditions as of as now. Items of interest will obviously be Ammoina, Nitrite, Nitrate, PH, Alk, Cal, Temp, SG

Only thing I know of linka stars is that they are extremly sensitive to salinity changes.
Ammonia=0
Nitrite=0
Nitrate=5
ph=8.2
Alk=130
cal=never can get a reading from my test kit
Temp=constant 80
sg=1.023

I would have had them one week today.
Old 10-25-2002, 11:18 AM   #6
Alf
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
I would have had them one week today
Ok How did you acclimate them and how long? The Linka like most star fish need to be acclimated very slowly like over atleast 4 hours. I acclimated mine over night with a drip system. It's fat and healty now. Also take into account that it could have not been acclimated properly from where you got it. If this was the case then the damage was already done before you got it. HTH[/quote]

See My Tanks through the links below:Have you Joined your Local Marine Club?? For The Dallas Fort Worth area, sign up at DFWMAS
Old 10-25-2002, 07:31 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

I followed their acclimation instructions and even added time to it.
Old 10-26-2002, 11:05 AM   #8
Alf
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
followed their acclimation instructions and even added time to it.

Well I guess as longs as your comfortable with that I will have to be too. Just thought I would try and help.

Old 10-26-2002, 05:59 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

I gotta agree with most of the other posters in this thread, it is an acclimation issue. The instructions for most online retailers, do not account for animals that are extremely sensitive to any changes in environement...and anything less than 4-6 hours is a sudden change. In most cases changes should be made over days, in the situation of Linckia stars, at least over 6-8 hours, prefferebly more.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2002, 09:25 PM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

ok, but if it was a matter of aclimatizing, why did they do great for a week and then sudden death?

oh, and then there is the weird thing that they were virtually on top of each other instead of at opposite ends of the tank...they make a suicide
pact..?
stuff is just strange

Tags
dead

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com