dead open braon coral

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bill302

Aquarium Advice Freak
I spot fed my open brain coral that was healthy reef brand zooplankton and it seems as if the zooplankton ate the open brain this has happened to me before with a sick lobo but I thought the lobo just gave up but now I know it seems as if the zooplankton ate it too.....WHY

Is this stuff frozen, or actual live zooplankton?
I think something else is happening here. What are your current parameters? What lighting? How long have you had these corals?
What size tank and what are you using for flow?

Is this stuff frozen, or actual live zooplankton?
I think something else is happening here. What are your current parameters? What lighting? How long have you had these corals?
What size tank and what are you using for flow?

live zooplankton..my parameters are all good ammonia 0, nitrate 0, nitrite 0, phos. 0, calcium 440,ph 8.2, alk. 200ppm..salanity 1.025. led lighting set on low...all of these done with my api test kits and strip test at lfs. I have 4 powerheads at each corner of the tank each 700 gal per hr . set on timers, reef octopus hob skimmer, magnum 350, hob 300 gph filter. I had first coral for about 6 weeks and it was looking good but was sick when I got it it was recovering and the latest one was 2 weeks old and it looked great see pic below...after spot feeding with live zooplankton I could see the orange color zooplankton laying on the coral around its mouth the coral swelled up with feeding tentacles out then it released a stringy slime then I used a turkey baster to try to remove the zooplankton but it seemed as if it was stuck to and eating the coral....

Attachments

• 100_0690.jpg
    100_0690.jpg
    193 KB · Views: 110
What type of LEDs? Not all are created equal.

55 gal. with 2 TaoTronics LED dimmable 120 watt units with 28 blue 27 white led... but im sure it was not the lighting as I said they were doing great but after spot feeding within 1 day and a half the skeleton was showing only where the zooplankton was laying around mouth and bottom edge and slowly moved outward from there...

Those appear to be tracyphyllia brains, and i have had very little luck with them long term. They would swll up and look nice for a little while, then shrivel and look sickly like the coral on the left in your pic. Sometimes a feeding would swell them back up again, but I just stopped importing them after this same thing happened to about 60 of them.
I do not think it was the zooplankton though(even though this is a broad term including many species), because they generally do not eat coral.

BTW, these are low light corals.

I killed mine with too much flow. This could be the case here. Too much flow will actually tear the flesh. That is what happened to mine. They are low light and low flow from my experience.

Back
Top Bottom