Dead Or Alive?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Spudulike

Aquarium Advice Newbie
This anenoneme was fine last night, I get up this morning and it looks like like it is dead. I fave been feeding it pieces of shrimp and it seemed to be thriving, I did a maintenace water change a couple of days ago and it appeared not to like it and acted 'Dead', after a day or two it revived and it was fine...now its worse...What do i do? the waster quality seems fine although I have only tested PH 8.4, Nitrate 10, Amm 0, Nitrite 20. It is a small 10gal tank that has cycled.

Somthing doesn't look right here.
PH 8.4, Nitrate 10, Amm 0, Nitrite 20. It is a small 10gal tank that has cycled.
A fully cycled tank should have 0 nitrites.
How long has the tank been set up and how long have you had the anemone?

ur anenome is fine but isnt gonna be 4 long if u keep up 20 nitrites

Mr. Marine

Here's a little tip that I have picked up in my research. If your anemone is closed up and/or moving around constantly (ex: Bulb tip) your water quality is poor in some way. Your anemones actions will change from the norm when water quality starts getting poor. As soon as you see a change in normal behavior immediately look at water quality and conduct at least a 25% water change. You may even have to change up to 50%. HTH

Scott

When anemones get smaller than usual it means it is expelling its waste, and a few hrs to a day it will go back to nowmal, 20trites is bad fr a tank, make sure its 0 or all will die.

Thanks for that, the water quality is better now. The anemone seems to be well he get big and 'carnation' like and then a few days later it looks at deaths door...Can anyone name it for me? I am not sure what it is. Thanks

Can you post a new pic of the anemone when open?

Cheers
Steve

Thanks everybody, for all your help but the anemone did a bit of a walk about and sucked up into filter and is shredded! The water has got terribly milky with the body fluids, is it best to do a complete tank change or will the filter sort it out?
Once again thanks for your help, I guess the weekend will bring a new anemone.

A few water changes and some carbon (swapped a few times) will help clean up the tank. I would not suggest you attempt this again. Smaller tanks are not well suited for long term care of anemone's and since the tank seems to have just recently cycled, it's not very stable.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom