Dead porcupine puffer - WHY???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pufferwhisperer

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I had a 2 year old Porcupine Pufferfish that was doing GREAT. He didn't eat one day, then was dead the next night.

He was eating mostly market shrimp with an occasional squid that I would get from the local seafood market.

His tank mates were all very docile tangs (yellow, hippo, yellow eye), a coral beauty angel, a wrasse, maroon clownfish, and huma huma trigger. All got along fine and were never aggressive. The puffer was almost 10 inches long, so he was much larger than any tank mates.

Nitrate and Nitrate, and ammonia were at 0, not sure about the other readings off hand. SPG = 23

The tank mates are all perfectly fine and anemones and leather are fine as well. There are no signs of any problems, all are eating, no scratching. The puffer was no exception. He would come out to eat every night, but one night he came out, but wouldn't eat. I made a vet appt for him for Mon morn, but he died the next night.

The second night that he didn't eat was the night that he died. I took him out and put him in a hospital tank with metronidizol and nitrofurizone. By the time I put him in the hospital tank, it was already took late. He had labored breathing, and just sat at the bottom. Keep in mind, the night before was the first night that he did not eat.

All are in a 125g tank with sump, live rock, and sand. Tank is established for 2 years. Had a bad ich outbreak 18 months ago, but no problems since then.

He suffered a prolapsed colon a year ago, but was treated an have had no problems since then.

I'm just so crushed over his loss. I want to know what may have gone wrong. They were all doing fine. Why would one hardy fish die, while more sensitive fish were never affected? I just don't want to go through this again. Please advise.

I'm sorry for your loss. When you got him, was he a small puffer (less then 4 inches) or was he already 6 inch+. If it was the latter, he may have just been old and it was his time. Their life span is around 5 years or so.

Back
Top Bottom