Dead Shrimp, Dead Chromis - Please HELP!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

drinkingbird

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have an Eclipse 12 system that I set up a couple of months ago. I have aragonite sand (2mm) and 9lbs of fiji live rock, halimedea. All water params normal, salinity normal. Use dechlorinated water to set up - had diatom bloom, did water changes with distilled water- problem rectified, RO filter on order. Added 1 scarlet crab & 3 Astrea snails all OK, params normal. Added Blood Red Fire Shrimp died after 8 hours :( , ordered Bluegreen Chromis (mail order) placed in tank, was pale in color- trauma from shipping? The fish darted all over the tank, tired out , started swimming vertically, rested on sand surface - died :( . Checked all params again- all normal, salinity normal. Should I check O2? I have good flow, lots of tiny bubbles. I know I have a small tank, don't want to overload. Any suggestions on what I might be doing wrong- and help would be great.

What do you consider normal for water condition?

How did you acclimate the shrimp and fish?

Could you please give the parameter readings? It could help. Please also tell us your acclimation procedures.

Water params- pH 8.2, Nitrate, Nitrite & Ammonia 0ppm
Acclimation procedure: Places bag in tank for 30 mins, open bag, floated bag added 1/4 cup of tank H2O to bag, repeated every 10 mins, once bag was full, emptied 1/2 the water into bucket ( to discard) again added 1/4 cup tank H2O to bag, repeated this several more times.

Thanks for taking the time to respond! :D

Salinity? Temp?

Also, although the method you used is "ok" for most fish, shrimp are alot more sensitive and should be drip acclimated. I have ordered chromis online and have found them to be very touch and go. The ones I have purchased locally do quite well. Just musing here, but maybe they do not ship too well.

Thanks for the info
Temp is 78 F, Salinity 1.023 (SG)

Can you explain the drip acclimation process, is there an article you could recommend?

Drip acclimation: float the bag for 20-30 minutes to correct temp. Then you can place the bag in your sump or in some other bucket with a heater to keep the temperature staple. Get a piece of airhose and tie a knot in it. then start a siphon with the hose from your display tank and have it drip into your new container. Start off slow maybe 1 drip a second for a little while then increase to 2-3 drops a second then increase more. The rate at which you increase the drips will depend on what you are acclimating and how sensitive it is. I've heard of people taking 6-8 hours to acclimate some star fish and sensitive creatures. Hope that makes sense :D

I was thinking about getting a star fish and someone posted this link about drip acclimation for me.

It was great help...I was clueless as to how to do it. You might try this so that you don't have your fish keep passing away.

HTH

Back
Top Bottom