Dead snail...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MattP725

Aquarium Advice Freak
I found what appeared to be an empty turbo snail shell today so I assume it died somehow... question is do I leave the shell or remove it? It isn't hurting anything although my hermit keeps knocking it over... I doubt anything will host it anyways so should I just pull it?

Hi Matt
I belive It is best to take them out of your tank because flat worms and pyramid snails both like to use them to hide in and they are just a eye sore in the tank.
Ducky

I leave the empties in my tank.....the hermits will use them and they don't look bad at all to me, they get moved and hidden amongst the live rock

Lots of people add seashells to their tanks.. this is filed in the same category for me. I take them out, clean them, and put them back in.

I think they actually look nice..

The only hermit I currently have is a monster... he is a red legged and is about 3-4 times that of any snail and eats anything in sight (including my emerald crab I believe). He def wouldn't fit in the shell. Unfortunately I already threw it out but I do have other shells... I am waiting for my hermit to get sick of the one he has since he is almost popping out of the thing.

Leave them in good home for pods and when you get other hermits. No need to clean them worms and pods will do that, food for the tank. I add all kinds of shells for the hermits. Flat worms???? they can hide anywhere not just shells and if he dose not have them its not an issue

seaham358 said:
No need to clean them worms and pods will do that, food for the tank.

I recently lost a Turbo (biggest one I;ve seen ever) and I left it in there for roughly a week, after that I was curious and pulled it out, I shucked it into my bucket and what looked like left over decaying snail came flying out, at that moment my WHOLE living room became to stick like rotten eggs, I thought I was going to puke.

Take it out permanently or pull it out and CLEAR IT OUT!!!! *PUKES*

Oh yea, I would like to add that I have 3 shrimps, 25 hermits, a black Brittle Star, and an Emerald Crab...looks like they don't do a good job at cleaning it out.

Back
Top Bottom