Dead Snails, crabs, and damsel... Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

superdave07

Aquarium Advice Freak
My 20g tank finish it cycled my on June 9, 2011 and two days later I added a cuc and a damsel. From the start the damsel would hide, hardly come out now its been about 12 days and hes missing or hiding very good and most of my snails died and also my crabs, I have the about 5 snails left and some dwarf cerith alive, one or two crabs. What can be the problem? I want to add a pair of clowns but not sure if I should. My test kit is dated 12/10

When I started the fish tank I used tap water with conditioner and I did a 30% water change last weed with distilled water and yesterday I did a 50% wc with distilled, my Trate where at 25 now they dropped to 10

am-0
trite-0
trate-10
Ph-8.0
temp 78
Specific Gravity is 1.024
Salinity ppt is 32

HELP PLEASE

superdave07 said:
My 20g tank finish it cycled my on June 9, 2011 and two days later I added a cuc and a damsel. From the start the damsel would hide, hardly come out now its been about 12 days and hes missing or hiding very good and most of my snails died and also my crabs, I have the about 5 snails left and some dwarf cerith alive, one or two crabs. What can be the problem? I want to add a pair of clowns but not sure if I should. My test kit is dated 12/10

When I started the fish tank I used tap water with conditioner and I did a 30% water change last weed with di water and yesterday I did a 50% wc with di, my Trate where at 25 now they dropped to 10

am-0
trite-0
trate-10
Ph-8.0
temp 78
Specific Gravity is 1.024
Salinity ppt is 32

HELP PLEASE

One problem is u need to used Ro water instead!! And ur test kit is expired!

Durango said:
One problem is u need to used Ro water instead!! And ur test kit is expired!

So my test kit is 7 Months old and it expired? what dose di water have that is not good?

Test kit is good for a couple years past the date produced stamped on the bottles. Your testing kit should be fine.

carey said:
Test kit is good for a couple years past the date produced stamped on the bottles. Your testing kit should be fine.

How about using di water for my WC it's a 20g tank

what do you mean by di water? Do you mean ro/di water from a machine? Where did you get the water?

Ahh i see now. I wouldnt continue using that, just what I've heard. Do you have LFS that sells ro/di water? Or can you swing about $75 for your own unit?

carey said:
Ahh i see now. I wouldnt continue using that, just what I've heard. Do you have LFS that sells ro/di water? Or can you swing about $75 for your own unit?

I have one down the street that sales it, whats not good with distilled water?

To be honest, I don't know specifically. It's just something I've read here on the forums. If you have a Publix or a stop n shop grocery store they usually have the machines out front that you can get water from for about 30 cents a gallon. Can't beat that. :)

carey said:
To be honest, I don't know specifically. It's just something I've read here on the forums. If you have a Publix or a stop n shop grocery store they usually have the machines out front that you can get water from for about 30 cents a gallon. Can't beat that. :)

You think the water is at fault for the deaths?

I really wish i had an answer. Don't wanna just guess, but if I had to guess I'd say no probably not. But that's only a guess. Someone will come along and explain I'm sure, it's still early yet. :)

carey said:
I really wish i had an answer. Don't wanna just guess, but if I had to guess I'd say no probably not. But that's only a guess. Someone will come along and explain I'm sure, it's still early yet. :)

Ok thanks

Lower your nitrates to 5. Make sure your water is oxygenated.

Change the water again, 20% or so. You need to make sure your water has oxygen in it. If you have a somewhat larger tank, the filter alone won't do. I have a 37 tall and have two Koralia 750's in it to provide water movement.

cls8s said:
Change the water again, 20% or so. You need to make sure your water has oxygen in it. If you have a somewhat larger tank, the filter alone won't do. I have a 37 tall and have two Koralia 750's in it to provide water movement.

My tank is 28" tall I have the same as you the 750s Koralia

Back
Top Bottom