Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 08-12-2003, 03:37 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular
dead spot eliminator?

hi all i just wanted to know what you thought of this idea.
i was thinking about dead zones in a reef tank. then i remembered that one of the ideas of plant warmers was to provide constant water circulation and heat a plants roots. for those of you unfamiliar with plant warmers- they are heating coils put on the bottom of the gravel in a planted tank. by heating the bottom of the tank it heats the water around it, and warm water rises forcing the cooler water to sink. this would create a slower sort of flow that would constantly be turning over the tank's water volume. do you think this would keep organic compounds from building up?
thnx alot
oh ya on live sand would you put this in on the upper layer so as not to disturb the plenum?

echo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2003, 10:43 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus
if the intent is to keep detritus from building up, I don't think a warmer as you describe would produce adequate flow to stop any build up. Your best bet is really just positioning your PHs so there's isn't any dead spots.

Is your tank already set up? I would not use a plenum if you haven't already started your tank. You want to build up an anerobic area to facilitate the removal of NO3.
Acronyms and Abbreviations
BillyZ is offline   Reply With Quote

dead, spot

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com