Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-05-2003, 11:27 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Dead Tang

I came home last night and found my yellow tang lying at the bottom breathing heavily. I checked the water parameters. They are as follows:
PH 8.2
ammonia 0
Nitrites 0
Nitrates 40
Spec Grav. 1.022
He was dead when I woke up. I don't know what happened, there were no visible signs of disease. I did add some rock to the tank yesterday, but all the other fish are fine. Wouldn't is all of them if I accidentally introduced a contaminant? Any ideas what could of happened???????

Old 06-05-2003, 05:14 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to ReefRaff Send a message via MSN to ReefRaff Send a message via Yahoo to ReefRaff
I would say maybe the high nitrates would have something to do with it. Nitrates should be at 10 or less. Sorry for your Loss

ReefRaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2003, 05:23 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Nitrates may have done it, I am not sure. Sorry though.
Old 06-05-2003, 05:30 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

My percula clown (had for 3 years) died yesterday afternoon too for seemingly no reason as well
Old 06-05-2003, 05:36 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to nugrad2005 Send a message via Yahoo to nugrad2005
was it a full moon last night? 8)

Do you live in Massachusetts or the New England area? If so join the New England Regional Forum: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/groupcp.php?g=1404
nugrad2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2003, 06:16 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

My guess would be the rock not the nitrates, 40ppm is not that high even for a fish only tank. Whether is was a temporary ammonia spike that passed by the time you tested or a contaminate it is difficult to tell. I would never add rock directly to the tank without some form of QT period in a bucket, testing to tell how cured it is. Then there always remains the possibility of an unknown cause the hobby is not familiar with yet.

Can you describe your system a bit (size, filtration, etc.)
Old 06-05-2003, 08:35 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

It couldn't have been die-off from the rock because it was dry base rock. I just needed a few to fill in gaps. I rinsed it a million times-even with the water hose at full blast so I dont know whats going on. I done a 20 gal water change and replaced the filter media but the nitrates didnt go down at all! Any suggestions for decreasing the nitrates. Tank is a 75 gal, wet/dry filter-can't remember specs om filter but it was built for a 125 gal tank, about 70 lbs LR, only fish now are 2 percula clowns, 2 blue devil damsels, 2 emerald crabs, various snails and hermits. I dont have a skimmer yet.
Old 06-06-2003, 10:15 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
water hose
What kind of hose? Outside garden hose type?

To reduce the nitrates, a skimmer will help. A wet/dry filter is a nitrate factory, as long as that is in place it will always contribute to nitrates. I would begin phasing it out by removing media and implementing a deeper sand bed or complete DSB with detrivores.

Tags
dead, tan, tang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com