Dead Tang!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lando

Aquarium Advice Addict
My lights just came in my tank and I found my beautiful purple tang laying on the sand...dead. I am feel terrible about this, i have had this fish for well over a year and it was always doing great. I noiced some torn fins on his tail and anal fins. Not sure if it is fin rot or just work from my clean-up crew before I goti him out. No one has ever picked on him. He also looked very thin. The last time I saw him he was doing great. Swim normally and eating well. No changes with the tank. Ammonia and nitrite are 0, nitrate is 5, SG is 1.024, temp is 80, ph is 8.1. All other fish, coral and inverts are doing fine. I did a 15% water change on Wed. I have no idea what happened :cry: Guess I will head to the bathroom for a proper Suburbian burrial.

Sorry for your lost. It was a pretty and expensive fish. It happened to me a few years ago on a yellow tank. I had it for over a year. Started one day, it ate less and less and a week later, he died....

Sorry for your loss. :(

What was your feeding regiment?

Cheers
Steve

Thanks everyone. I hango nori every other day and feed froozen mysis and krill every three days. DT's every three days as well.

Sorry to hear this....I feel you on this one. I seem to have unexplained problems such as this quite often.

I mean no offense but unfortunately Nori alone will not fullfill the tangs requirements. It is an excellent grazing food but does not complete a balanced diet. Believe it or not a fish can gorge itself and still succumb to starvation. Along with the meat proteins, fish require many types of vitamin rich foods both natural and in some cases artificial. Tangs especially need a much higher carbohydrate diet with a good mix of varying veggie matter to complete a balanced diet.

There is a very good article <<here>> I would suggest reading.

Cheers
Steve

Lando, sorry for your loss. I know it's inevitable but it doesn't make it any easier when it happens.

Steve-s-- Great article on feeding. I'm now feeding just every other day, although adding Nori every day. I'll try some other veggies and see what my tang and others like.

Soooo sorry to hear about your loss. Your setup is so nice and you're always so helpful on this forum. Are you going to get a new Tang (or another fish)?

Jim

Sorry about your loss, i can feel with you. Same thing hapend with my Sailfin Tank last year.
Great article, now i will get a new one and feed him accordingly. (Sailfin Tangs are sooooooo Cool).

sorry about your tang but why does it looked like its been cooked kind of :wink:

That SUCKS!!! Sorry Lando- on the bright side that article Steve-S linked may help alot of people-and even more fish! I'll make a couple adjustments to my fishes' diet b/c of it. Those Sailfins sure are beautiful.....Pics of a new one soon??? Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom