Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-01-2005, 12:18 PM   #11
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunryze
sorry it took so long to respond , but as i am watching the hubbys salt tank i have been just glancing at the other tanks making sure all is wonderful , and had a large population explosion in my convict tank,,,
so anyway ,
Congrats...

Quote:
( as per fishguy at elmers)
I'd stop listening to this guy. All it has accomplished is frustration and loss. He really should know better.

Quote:
all remaining fish now acting , eating fine , no signs of anything wrong ,
Good to hear. Did you change the treatment as suggested by Quarryshark or is the Greenex still in use?

Cheers
Steve
Old 03-01-2005, 12:25 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Regular

thanks , about the convicts ,at least something went right around here ..,

, i will never enter elmers again,, such a shame probably just got the wrong salesman , i think i may call the store to let them know of the bad advise ,they have such a good reputation, we drive 2 hours to go there..

i havent changed the meds because they seemed fine and didnt have anywhere to put them untill i got the greenex out of the tank?? ,, didnt want to double medicate

can you do that?? im so chemical phobic..

thanks for the help ill keep ya posted if anything changes

Old 03-01-2005, 12:30 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thanks to all
Old 03-01-2005, 12:32 PM   #14
AA Team Emeritus

My LFS buddy swears by that Bio Spira. Still, I often hear customers come in and say thay've got fish problems, dying, sick ane etc. My buddy swears that the tanks they service are doing OK - even with the bio spira. Others they don't service seem to have problems.

My suspicion is as follows. Seems that bio spira put ammonia consuming orgs in the tank, allowing folks to fully stock fish very quickly, if not all at once. Things seem to go fine for a few weeks. The the big crash. I suspect that the ammonia and nitrate consuming orgs die off the full fish load causes problems - as opposed to a properly cyled (in my opinion) tank.

Sunryze, from the time you first added fish 'til now, did the ammonia or nitrates ever go up?

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 12:39 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
did the ammonia or nitrates ever go up?

just barly , highest

Am was between, .25-.50ppm
nitrates 20ppm never hitting 40ppm

things/products /quickfixes.. that sound to good.. usually are ,, I really know better....
Old 03-01-2005, 12:40 PM   #16
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunryze
i havent changed the meds because they seemed fine and didnt have anywhere to put them untill i got the greenex out of the tank?? ,, didnt want to double medicate

can you do that?? im so chemical phobic..
Leave things how they are for now and run the treatment as directed. If it seems to be working then your all good. Once treatment is done with though do not place the fish back in the main. Remove all remanants of the med with repeated water changes (well aged/aerated) and a couple of changes in carbon to conclude the treament. Allow the fish to stay put for about two additional weeks. If there are no re-occurances or signs of secondary infection your fine.

In all, I would keep the fish QT'd for 6 weeks and leave the main tank fallow, inverts are fine though. That will help ensure whatever was the cauue is also dead. No fish host, no means of continuing the life cycle. Just be sure you feed the fishless tank as if there where fish in there. It will help maintain whatever biofilter has established itself and possibley improve it. A normal feeding every few days would work well.

Cheers
Steve
Old 03-01-2005, 12:41 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Regular

??Bio Spira?

I really wonder if it ever really cycled or if the birospiro stuff just makes it appear that way ,, and how will i ever know if im getting true readings or not now that the stuffs in there
Old 03-01-2005, 12:43 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
fish QT'd for 6 weeks
sounds good to me ,, i'll do just that, hubby can just watch the crabs,,
Old 03-01-2005, 01:08 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
My LFS buddy swears by that Bio Spira
Hey, I would to if I was charging $25 for a package that treats 55gals.
Old 03-01-2005, 01:16 PM   #20
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Am was between, .25-.50ppm
nitrates 20ppm never hitting 40ppm
IMO, that kinda supports my opinion stated earlier about not having enuf beneficial bacteria w/Bio spira. I believe ammonia levels at or above .50 ppm is enuf to cause huge problems, and maybe even deaths.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dead, tan, tang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com