Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-08-2004, 04:03 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to nodoubt471
death city

ahhhhhhhhhhhh

i just lost another fish. a royal gramma. 2 days ago he was out swimming around fine, taking food, etc. yesterday he hid under the rocks even during feeding time. today i woke up and he was floating around the bottom of the tank dead. i think he may have had ich, but that was like superfast killing ich- he had the characteristic white spots on him. a coral beauty i had died of the same affliction probably about a month ago. my hawkfish seems to be doing fine, he survived both the deaths of his fellow tankkmates. what should i do???? what is in my tank???? how do i get rid of it?? i dont want ot keep loosing fish, even tho im QTing them first!

im melafixing right now. should i ridich? kanacyn? maracyn??? i dont know!! help.

Old 03-08-2004, 04:26 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Others will chime i'm sure as my knowledge is fairly limited... but if your sure thats it's ick (or some other disease) I would move ALL fish to the QT and treat there as necessary. Leave the main display tank fallow for at least 4 weeks. There are some really good articles on this site and others that would be good to read but I don't have the links at hand... sorry

Old 03-08-2004, 05:52 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

What are your water parameters? Ammonia? Nitrate? Nitrite?
Old 03-08-2004, 11:32 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

my ammonia nitrate and nitrite are all reading at zero which makes me even more confused!!!

the only stress i could think of that could have spurred this is the addition of an anenome. i added it on friday and started noticing signs of illness saturday. could this be the reason? and when i QT my fish should i QT the anenome as well? what about inverts?

now i am second guessing the ich verdict. but it was some sort of small white dots all over the fishes body. do you guys have any medication recommendations?

i feel like a delinquent parent!!!
Old 03-09-2004, 12:58 AM   #5
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodoubt471
now i am second guessing the ich verdict. but it was some sort of small white dots all over the fishes body. do you guys have any medication recommendations?
Like a dusting of salt & pepper or larger like sugar sized. Could be Amyloodinium ocellatum aka marine velvet, especially with the speed the animals are passing.

Cheers
Steve
Old 03-09-2004, 08:56 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

marine velvet? i havent heard much about this disease. whats a good medication for it?? how long will it stay in an empty tank for?
Old 03-09-2004, 10:52 AM   #7
steve-s

The main tank will need to stay fallow for 4-6 weeks while any (all) fish are treated. The best suggestion for treatment of >>marine velvet<< is copper in a proper QT preferabley with Cupramine for 21 days.

Cheers
Steve

Tags
death, eat

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com