Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-07-2004, 09:35 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Death Row

Well I'm probably going to get a lot of grief for this one but what the heck am as happy as heck to get this so called last mantis.

Just as I was wrapping everything up after getting (in my thoughts) my last mantis shrimp, low and behold click, click, click. I'm so pissed.

www.panhandlereefers.com

Join N. Florida Regional Forum
GrndHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2004, 09:45 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

LOL, Officer it was the gray one in the middle, I know it, yep number 23 for sure!!!!

One hell of a line up you got there.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2004, 10:07 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Is it true that mantis will click in multiples? I had read that a pistol shrimp will click once but a mantis will twice. Is there truth to this?

I have something that clicks but I hear one click every so often. I have not seen anything yet though ...
Old 02-07-2004, 10:35 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via Yahoo to WildFlower
Oh my, thank you for posting that pic GrndHog... I've been searching for Mantis/Pistol in my tank for a few days.. I can hear it/them? but had no clue I was looking for something that small. **** things are elusive as hell, I can't even get an eye ball on one, much less catch one... how'd you get them out of your tank?
Old 02-07-2004, 11:24 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

You have to sneak up on them as a team. My wife has spotted all five that I have caught. She will see it then call me in a big panic, " I SEE ONE" and I know what that means. I run and get my ladder, because my tank is 43 inches off the ground, then I make sure I have the right rock, make sure that hes in and then pull the rock real fast as my wife makes sure the mantis dosent slither out while I'm pulling the rock.

As I'm typing this I hear another one! Ugh!!! Keep in mind I have had the rock since Thanksgiving weekend.

I'm gonna fry them up!

www.panhandlereefers.com

Old 02-08-2004, 12:28 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to yaksplat Send a message via MSN to yaksplat Send a message via Yahoo to yaksplat
you dunking the rock in fresh water?
Old 02-08-2004, 06:59 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I got lucky on the last one, it was in a small rock and when I first pulled it I put it the fresh water maybe for 3 second and he came out.

www.panhandlereefers.com

Old 05-18-2004, 11:37 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

I know I'm dredging up an old thread, but thought I'd add something to this....

Quote:
Is it true that mantis will click in multiples? I had read that a pistol shrimp will click once but a mantis will twice. Is there truth to this?
I've read that pistol shrimp click in ones and twos, since it is a predatory attack. Mantis will click similarly, but will sometimes click many times in a row - especially when den building or trying to open a shell. So, if you hear many clicks at one time - you can figure it isn't a pistol.

Anyway, hope that helps

http://www.reeffrontiers.com
NaH2O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2004, 10:28 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to yaksplat Send a message via MSN to yaksplat Send a message via Yahoo to yaksplat
My pair of pistols will let off a bunch of clicks in a row. I've seen up to 10 at a time.

Jim
Old 05-21-2004, 01:09 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

There was only one time that my pistol clicked more and a couple times in a row and that was when a big crab was entering it's den and it was a big fight.

MantisFreak is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
death, eat

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com