Death Row

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GrndHog

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Well I'm probably going to get a lot of grief for this one but what the heck am as happy as heck to get this so called last mantis.

Just as I was wrapping everything up after getting (in my thoughts) my last mantis shrimp, low and behold click, click, click. I'm so pissed.

LOL, Officer it was the gray one in the middle, I know it, yep number 23 for sure!!!!

One hell of a line up you got there.

Is it true that mantis will click in multiples? I had read that a pistol shrimp will click once but a mantis will twice. Is there truth to this?

I have something that clicks but I hear one click every so often. I have not seen anything yet though ...

Oh my, thank you for posting that pic GrndHog... I've been searching for Mantis/Pistol in my tank for a few days.. I can hear it/them? but had no clue I was looking for something that small. Damn things are elusive as hell, I can't even get an eye ball on one, much less catch one... how'd you get them out of your tank?

You have to sneak up on them as a team. My wife has spotted all five that I have caught. She will see it then call me in a big panic, " I SEE ONE" and I know what that means. I run and get my ladder, because my tank is 43 inches off the ground, then I make sure I have the right rock, make sure that hes in and then pull the rock real fast as my wife makes sure the mantis dosent slither out while I'm pulling the rock.

As I'm typing this I hear another one! Ugh!!! Keep in mind I have had the rock since Thanksgiving weekend.

I'm gonna fry them up! :x

I got lucky on the last one, it was in a small rock and when I first pulled it I put it the fresh water maybe for 3 second and he came out.

I know I'm dredging up an old thread, but thought I'd add something to this....

Is it true that mantis will click in multiples? I had read that a pistol shrimp will click once but a mantis will twice. Is there truth to this?

I've read that pistol shrimp click in ones and twos, since it is a predatory attack. Mantis will click similarly, but will sometimes click many times in a row - especially when den building or trying to open a shell. So, if you hear many clicks at one time - you can figure it isn't a pistol.

Anyway, hope that helps :)

There was only one time that my pistol clicked more and a couple times in a row and that was when a big crab was entering it's den and it was a big fight.

I got something in the tank that clicks... I "thought" I got all the mantis out but guess not... Not sure if pistols are hitchhikers or not though. I'm gonna get some more peppermint shrimp and see what happens. The last 2 I got lasted all of 3 days !

Pistols are common hitchikers on LR ;) But I have not known them to knock off peppermint shrimp, but have not had all that much personal experience with them.

Whatcha got there is a pistol shrimp. One claw is enlarged and that's the one that makes all of the noise. Mantis tuck their raptorial appendages in underneath their body and look like a praying mantis. This is how they got their name...mantis shrimp.

Back
Top Bottom