Deep red blob under Candy Cane head

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

don_chuwish

Aquarium Advice Freak
Is this anything to worry about? We have a few small recurring aiptasia on another branch, AiptasiaX has killed them off a few times but they keep coming back.
Mostly I'm wondering about the red blob...

It's been about 12" under a 55W 50/50 CF bulb, I've just moved deeper just in case.

36G tank, Calcium measured yesterday at 480, Amm 0, NitrItes 0, NitrAtes <10, temp steady at 76 (if you believe my thermo). Using Kent reef salt mix, weekly (or more) 15% PWCs. Tank is only about 6 weeks old. Oh and, hate to admit, tap water treated with Prime. Occasionally I have to drip some buffer in to get pH back up from around 8.0 to 8.3. (I always drip after learning a hard lesson!).

So... is the Candy Cane sick or fine?

Thanks!

- SC

Attachments

• P1000130.jpg
    P1000130.jpg
    203.4 KB · Views: 73
  • P1000141.jpg
    P1000141.jpg
    165.4 KB · Views: 75
Could be red slime aka cyanobacteria, what is it's consistency is it sheet like or does it separate easily?

Thanks!
I hadn't tried touching it but now that I did, yes, and it released an air bubble as it separated. Chunks floated away - hope I haven't just dispersed cyano everywhere!

- D

It is definitely cyano. If you can remove it without touching the head of the coral, that would be great. I ha a huge cyano problem, I left the light off for an entire day (my corals are healthy enough to withstand that) and the cyano was gone. I still have a small amount, but it is much less noticeable. No critters will touch it.

Thanks all, that's the ONLY cyano in the tank. I was able to gently remove it all with a pipe cleaner, looks much better now. Just hope I don't get cyano blooms all over the tank now.

- D

Thanks for that input, near 8 may be where it wants to settle. But then I'd worry about it dipping lower before I notice & fix soon enough.
An interesting development in this little blob of cyano - it was starting to return the past few days & then a snail got up there and cleaned it all off. I'm sure more gently & completely than I had done.

- D

My understanding is that stable PH is more important than the level. Unless the levels are really extreme.

Thanks spoonman, good point. I'll just keep an eye on it and see if it stays at 8. Kind of a PITA to drip in buffer anyway.

Would a coral dip of any kind kill the cyano? If it comes back after the snail cleaned it up I want to have something on hand.

- D

No. You can just remove the coral and shake it off in a container of tank water and then put it back in the tank.

Back
Top Bottom