depth of ls

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

darb2

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have heard conflicting advice on what subtrate to use. I just set up a 75 gal tank, 1-2 in of sand (60 lbs aragamax) 50 lbs of boxed dry reef rock and a tide pool sump filter with a bio wheel. I am going to add some live rock from my established tank when the water clears. What depth of sand does everyone use :?: Some say 4-6 inches while others say bare bottom.

I have heard conflicting advice on what subtrate to use. I just set up a 75 gal tank, 1-2 in of sand (60 lbs aragamax) 50 lbs of boxed dry reef rock and a tide pool sump filter with a bio wheel. I am going to add some live rock from my established tank when the water clears. What depth of sand does everyone use :?: Some say 4-6 inches while others say bare bottom.

all a matter of choice i like a deep sand bed but not in the display !! in the display i'd go with 2"-3" max and put all ya sand in ya fuge

Providing you will have enough rock for denitrification (1½-2 lbs/gal), 1-2" of sand is just fine. No sand is just fine as well, it's really up to you and how you want the tank to look. You do not need the sand depth to provide anaerobic denitrification with enough rock.

Cheers
Steve

A seperate hidden tank that is conected to your show tank, it is used to provide additional water and to do anything you don't want to be seen.

Good article, I had an idea, but didn't know the name. And I guess it doesn't have to be set up immediately. Let me know if this is right, it doesen't matter what the balance of lr to ls is as long as there is enough in the system to support bio.

I know I need more lr, but will it survive the cycle?

my tank is way cloudy, will all of the suspended silt settle, because if I stick my hand in the tank, it just stirs up again?

I need to get some powerheads, but are they neseccary to cycle, or can I wait till the shock of purchasing a new system goes away?

The tank was wet up 3 days ago so I have plenty of time, thanks

darb2 said:
Let me know if this is right, it doesen't matter what the balance of lr to ls is as long as there is enough in the system to support bio.
(y) (y)
My personal preference would be more LR than sand in the display tank. In a fuge or "removable" system, it won't matter much either way as long as you have enough to do the job.

I know I need more lr, but will it survive the cycle?
The rock will survive but depending on how much ammonia there is, some hitchikers may not. Best to do water changes and keep the ammonia low and avoid that. If adding additional rock later on after you have aquired animals, cure it seperately. This article should help >>Curing Live Rock? I didn't even know it was sick!!<<

my tank is way cloudy, will all of the suspended silt settle, because if I stick my hand in the tank, it just stirs up again?
The sand will be quite "light" until the bacteria colonize it. Once it gets some weight to it, the silty particles will stop being a concern. No need to worry about that.

Ineed to get some powerheads, but are they neseccary to cycle, or can I wait till the shock of purchasing a new system goes away?
As long as you have a decent amount of water flow, the extra PH can wait. Just be sure the flow is not too low or you will get alot of die off accumulating in dead flow spots.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom