Details of setting up a QT

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AdamHorton

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've read a lot about setting up a QT, but there are a couple of details that just don't make sense to me.

The system should be separate from the DT, meaning QT water should never go into the DT. But, I'm supposed to use DT water to supply the QT? That's fine, but then how should the QT be filtered? Am I supposed to have another filter that's seeded from the DT to put in the QT whenever I need to use it? Then I couldn't put it back in the DT when I'm done with it, so I guess I'd have to bleach it first?

How do people set up a QT so that it's properly filtered without being terribly wasteful?

the big reason you dont want to put the qt water back in the dt is because the qt is used mainly to treat sick fish and medicate. If you put the medicated water back in your dt, it can get in the lr... also the reason you dont want to run the filter in the dt after its been in the qt. What most people do is have an hob running on the dt to keep the filter cycled, then when you need it, set it on the qt. Once youre done with the qt, thoroughly clean the filter, change the filter pad, and put it back on the dt to cycle the new filter pad. That keeps you from getting diseases, medicines, etc from the qt to the dt... the main reason for the qt

How long would the minimum or recommended time for seeding a new filter like this be? Should any water changes be done in the QT?

Back
Top Bottom