Devils hand coral

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flangers

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi my devils hand is in my tank a week now and params all good. I have it in bottom front beside a rock it is expanding and shrinking at night with light off, it has a blue colour to it when it shrinks???

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Is this coral harming my devils handImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1415560256.983153.jpg

Xenia shouldn't hurt it. Why not separate them to be safe? The xenia blowing in the flow might be disturbing it.

I went to seperate them and when I lifted devils hand the xenia had already dislodged itself from it so I moved! Thanks

I went to seperate them and when I lifted devils hand the xenia had already dislodged itself from it so I moved! Thanks

was probably being stung or irritated. You should have decent flow on the devils hand has it shed a mucous layer occasionally.

I only have it few weeks it shed last week and is looking alot better since that, devil hands sting??

Soft corals don't sting, they toss chemicals out to keep things away from them. But this may have simply been it shedding its outer layer. Soft corals like this do it from time to time. Though I'm not sure if there has been a reason told as to why they do it, I do recall reading about it being theorized about this process evolving as a way to prevent disease and parasites.

Yeah I read that they do it when they get comfortable and rid themselves of poop! I have them well apart now but that's a very odd xenia in pic not like my other xenia with thick stem!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom