Diamond gobie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bonniewoodruff

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a diamond gobie I have had for about 2 months. He has always eat well and came out when I come to the tank. I put my foxface in the tank about 2 weeks ago( moved from other tank). Everyone was fine. Now my gobie was missing for 2 days. I found him behind some rock and I thought he was dead, it looked like the serpent starfish thought so to. I moved the rock and they both swam away and hid. He has still not come out. I can see him but he is acting very strange and like going in circles. I can't get a good look at him, should I move the rock and put in qt? I can't tell if he is hurt or sick... Is this normal?

I am afraid that the fish may have somehow got hurt. I thought that all of the rock was on the bottom, not on the sand, now thinking that maybe got crushed? Has anyone ever seen that happen? I still don't know if I should leave him in or QT.:banghead:

I would isolate him. I once read about a man who did an autopsy on his goby(scooter blenny so more like a dragonette) and discovered a large shell lodged in its throat. Not likely the case here, but true.

Can you leave him in a "basket" in your DT?

My partner just suggested that the goby may have been stung? Could you have some unknown hitchhikers or other nasties?

It may be "concussed" for lack if a better term. See movie: DiminishedCapacity netflixed it last night, Matthew Broderick hehe. I hope he pulls through!

Well I have him in a small box in the display tank, I still can't tell if he has been stung or if maybe he has a rock lodged, it looks like he really is having trouble with one of his gills. I put an airstone and sand in there. I am not really sure what else to do.

I am afraid that the fish may have somehow got hurt. I thought that all of the rock was on the bottom, not on the sand, now thinking that maybe got crushed? Has anyone ever seen that happen? I still don't know if I should leave him in or QT.:banghead:

I lost two orange spotted in this manner, until I really dug all my live rock down to bottom of tank. I now have a goldenhead for a few months now with no problems. Sucks cause my daughter named spotted one dusty but I had to give her the heaven talk at age four cause I couldn't find another spotted goby.

Will he accept food? Do his eyes seem to be focused or alert? I'm not sure if diamond gobies eat only from the sandbed or if you feed them... At least you can keep him safe from tank mates and hungry stars. Let us know how he is doing. Also is there water flowing through his area?

I have him in a small breeder box on the display tank. The water runs from the display tank and then out. I put some sand and a rock in there. He is just laying on his side and his head seems to be bent(and has). He will not eat but he is the same as last night. He likes to hide. I will just keep checking on him and hope for the best.

Yep sounds like the right plan. To reduce stress give him a shaded area or a tube to hide in.

If you see any blockage it if he still won't eat in a few days I personally, cautiously, might try to handle he fish and check in its throat. I was a vet tech--- not with fish--- but fingers can really help when any animal is choking! I've un lodged a keychain, an office chair wheel and plenty of fox tails out of pets(again- use your own discretion! Get a helper with tweezers if you try)

It is totally likely he was picked on and not choking. My partners dwarf puffer hit the glass and acted stunned for a day, he was bent in a strange shape and dazed. He is totally okay now, so who knows?

Well went to check on him and he had slid out of the breeders box and back into the display tank, then he died. I checked him over and I didn't see anything, maybe he got too close to the foxface when it was scared. My husband thinks that the serpent starfish got him. This is my first loss of a fish. I have lost lots of snails(the crabs get them)

I'm sorry. You did a good thing.

One o my four chromis disappeared in the last 12 hours. The only solution I can imagine is that my water change last night stunned him and my serpent star ate him ???

Back
Top Bottom