dieing colt....help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishtender

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi all,
I have a xtra large colt coral that I have had since it was just a frag. It is all of a sudden dieing!!!!
I have checked the water, and all is where it should be. I had a set of lights burn out about 2 weeks ago, but I have been supplimenting with a set thata I had replaced. All in all I went from 240 PC to 130 PC and 80 FLOUR. I am stilll looking for a good affordable preplacement but all my other corals and fish are doing just fine with the change.
It appears to be deteriorating along some of the long shafts, and looks like it has been stung by something. I don't thiink that is the problem. Because of his size and aggressive behavior, he is all by himself on one side of the tank.
the only other thing is that I have introduced a Flame Scallop to the tank.

I am sorry that I can not take a picture if it, I have just upgraded to a better computer, but it doesn't like my cam and I have to replace it.

HELP!!!
Howard

It appears to be deteriorating along some of the long shafts, and looks like it has been stung by something.

Is it sliming excessively or desintigrating? Is it just not putting out polyps? Please describe the condition a little more.

Hi Kevin,

It is actually deteriorating. It is as itfit were ripped open between the branches and as soon as I touched it, part of it just blew apart. All this happened in a matter of 2 days. Sometimes I have noticed that my corals are a little droopy one day and fine the next. This is not the case. The little frag that I got of it is nice and healthy It is a nice pinkish rose color. and the part that I tried to save from the mother is a ugly dead grey color and totally drooped over. It has not put out any polyps for 2 days. I did do a water change even though all the water tested perfect. I am really upset because this was one of the first corals that I bought and it has been in my tank from the beginning. I hope that my little frag doesn't get whatever it's mama did. What is the lifespan of these things anyway. Are they like a short lived gift plant???

Howard

It sounds lik a bacterial infection, I would remove it and frag what might be able to be saved.

I had mine for several years with no issues. It could simply be the change in lighting weakened it and it was overtaken with a bacterial infection.

I took it out amd removed the section (80%) that was damaged. The section I saved looks death grey in color and hangs limp like.... something. I don't hols out much hope for it. I am absolutely amazed at how fast this happened. The first frag is still looking great. At least the mother will live on by way of its kin.

Thanks for your help.

Howard

Back
Top Bottom