Dips?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kristy3693

Aquarium Advice Freak
I hear of people doing dips for fish and corals, I can assume it is to kill off parasites. What is the process, how does it work? I don't have anybody sick right now, just getting some education. Thanks!

I have done it once on a gonipora coral. It had flatworms when I purchased it. I just got some rodi water that was the same temp and literally dipped in the water upside down and shook it a bit. Flatworms fell right off. Now the coral wasn't to happy for a day but it did come back to normal. Oh and I only dipped for about 10 seconds.

I've never dipped fish, but hear it does not get everything. Probably better than nothing, but if it doesn't cure it all, I'm not so sure about trying it.

When I first started buyin corals, I would do a 3 min FW dip. I used RO water at the same temp as tank, put the frag in and let it sit for 3 minutes. Then I hold it upside down and gently shake it in the water. Then into tank. I have since started using Coral Rx to dip before placing in the tank.

Fyi, you can also use Revive by TwoLittleFishies for various coral species and fish usually receive either freshwater baths or Formalin baths depending on tolerances.

Back
Top Bottom