Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-29-2004, 01:03 PM   #11
steve-s

Also try not to rely on artificial biostarters. Most if not all are useless and do not do what they claim. As previously stated, water changes are the best means of controlling toxin water conditions.

Cheers
Steve
Old 08-29-2004, 01:38 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Okie, well I don't want a raw shrimp in my bedroom! :P

What's the best way for me to start the QT cycle?

Old 08-29-2004, 01:56 PM   #13
steve-s

If you have a seeded sponge or other biomaterial to transfer, adding small bits of food (flake/pellet) should do well enough. The idea of seeding is to transfer bacteria so after that all you need do is feed it so the bacteria gain in number. Using the shrimp method cultivates bacteria from square one which is unneccessary when seeding.

Cheers
Steve
Old 08-29-2004, 02:09 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

If you are getting your livestock from an lfs that has excellent quaranting procedure do you really need to qt them again when you bring them home?
Old 08-29-2004, 02:20 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I did not have much luck with adding small bits of food to keep the culture going. There was a 2 week period that my QT was empty and I added some flakes about 3 times which I guess wasn't enough. I had a .5ppm ammonia spike followed by a .5 ppm nitrite spike and my new Royal Gramma didn't make it (Maybe unrelated but I felt terrible anyway). Make sure you have plenty of aged SW ready to go just in case. I did the emergency water changes which may have made things worse.
46g SW, 65 lbs Fiji LR, 4" Aragamax DSB, Coralife 2X96w CF, CPR Bakpak II, CPR Aquafuge 12 w/ 2x9 Coralife Mini Aqualight, 4 Maxijet 600's, PCI 200W Titanium Heater, 2 Blue Green Chromis, 1 Gold Bar Maroon Clown, 1 Purple-Stripe Dottyback, Finger Leather, Trumpets, Rose Coral Open-Brain, Pagoda Cup, Xenia, Star Polyps, Yellow Polyps, Various Mushrooms, Toadstool Leather, 12 Astraea, 10 Nassarius, 4 Bumble Bee, 6 Cerith Snails, 12 Red Tip Hermits.
phases99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2004, 05:36 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmonton Eskimo
If you are getting your livestock from an lfs that has excellent quaranting procedure do you really need to qt them again when you bring them home?
If you have a LFS that will QT a fish for you by itself I would say you probably don't need it. But as soon as that fish comes in contact with another fish all bets are off. It would be worth paying a premium price if you could actually see their holding tanks and trust that they are not cutting corners.
46g SW, 65 lbs Fiji LR, 4" Aragamax DSB, Coralife 2X96w CF, CPR Bakpak II, CPR Aquafuge 12 w/ 2x9 Coralife Mini Aqualight, 4 Maxijet 600's, PCI 200W Titanium Heater, 2 Blue Green Chromis, 1 Gold Bar Maroon Clown, 1 Purple-Stripe Dottyback, Finger Leather, Trumpets, Rose Coral Open-Brain, Pagoda Cup, Xenia, Star Polyps, Yellow Polyps, Various Mushrooms, Toadstool Leather, 12 Astraea, 10 Nassarius, 4 Bumble Bee, 6 Cerith Snails, 12 Red Tip Hermits.
Old 08-29-2004, 05:56 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

MarkW19, I don't know what your situation is but I just started my QT before my display tank was running (so the fish would be ready about the same time the main tank was) and I started the cycle (in a 20 gal) with a 5 pound chunk of LR. The ammonia never got higher than .25--same with nitrites--but it did take a month to cycle. I have the QT in my bedroom, too, and I couldn't deal with sleeping by a rotting shrimp, either! I fed the rock a few flakes every 3-4 days.
Euroreef ES5-3
2x Maxijet powerheads
Mag drive 9 return
Coralife 4x65 Lunar Aqualight
120 lbs rock from liverocks.com
1 peppermint shrimp and 1 fire shrimp (very shy)
2 black Ocellaris, Squish and Smudge
3 chromis, too identical to name as yet, in QT
10-gallon tropical
29-gallon with two goldies, Carrot and Orangehead
blorkiemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2004, 11:21 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Phases 99 There is a fish store that I have found that actually lets you see there qt facility. It is excellent.
Old 08-29-2004, 11:50 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmonton Eskimo
Phases 99 There is a fish store that I have found that actually lets you see there qt facility. It is excellent.
It almost sounds too good to be true. The fish is still going to be stressed from bagging and acclimating into a new environment. I'm curious to see what some of the longtime AA'ers have to say about this.
Old 08-30-2004, 08:23 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

I just emailed the place Atari recommended to me, Oasis Aquariums, and they said:-

"all our livestock is from TMC and is quarantined prior to us collecting it (all hand picked by ourselves) we then quarantine it again form 3-7 days depending on the type of fish some settle far faster than others".

What do you guys think to this?

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com