Dips vs QT?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It doesn't really mean anything.. but that last part is important, if they just got in new stock they won't sell it to you no matter what (I've tried) for a week. I hate that, lol.

hehe...

Do they QT new stock singularly in a tank each?

MarkW19 said:
I just emailed the place Atari recommended to me, Oasis Aquariums, and they said:-

"all our livestock is from TMC and is quarantined prior to us collecting it (all hand picked by ourselves) we then quarantine it again form 3-7 days depending on the type of fish some settle far faster than others".

What do you guys think to this?

Both the LFS's I use quarantine for a minium of 3 days, they prefer you to leave the stock there for a week to be sure....

Neither will sell anything to me they ain't 100% sure about, one had problems with a batch of tank bred Percula clowns that came in, wouldn't let me have one even after 12 days, by 20 days the lot had died!

He's since had a load more in & this time not one died & I got mine after 7 days :)

Cheers Shelton.

IMO 7 days is not enough. Many problem can show up 2, 3 weeks later. also even if they use qt. many different fish would go through the system. Unless they empty and bleach out the tank after every use, strong possibility that something could be left behind.
The point of qt is to isolate the fish in water that you know is clean, observe and treat as necessary.
Its nice that they care enough to try and sell people healthy animals, but I would still use qt before adding them to my system. Once you have a parasitic outbreak(I have), I believe you would then agree.

MarkW19 said:
Do they QT new stock singularly in a tank each?
Nope, and 7 days isn't long enough to weed out all but the really sick fish, so that's why I said it doesn't mean much.

Mark, anything in particular you're interested in? I can let you know if Oasis has it in stock. Just went there today and they were unpacking lots of new arrivals.

Atari: well, my QT tank has to cycle so won't be wanting anything for like 6 weeks :/

Wouldn't mind a nice coral beauty next though - a NICE one tho, a lot look dull and shoddy :p

PS. On a side-note, don't know how you're equipped, but if I do get one from Oasis, if I paid you would you be prepared to QT a fish for me for 4 weeks, then I'll come pick him up if he gets through and bring him home? If he dies, no worries (not your fault)...Amount to be discussed? What do ya say?? :p

Mark, there's no way I'd expect you to pay me for something like that.. unfortunately it's not a good time for me right now, though. Plus I haven't bought any fish for a long time so my QT isn't up and cycled either.

Have some faith in yourself and give it another shot.. If you do regular water changes (dechlorinated!) then you'll be fine.

Back
Top Bottom