Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-28-2004, 07:16 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Dips vs QT?

I know that QT is better, but how MUCH better than a freshwater dip, performed properly?

A fish in a small tank with nothing else in it, not to mention having to acclimate at least twice to 2 different tanks, can't do it much good.

I'm just trying to figure out what to do with my next fish, having lost my last 2 in QT. I seem to be fighting a losing battle with it.

If I do a dip properly, how likely is it that it will kill any parasites/diseases etc. that could carry over to my main tank?

Old 08-28-2004, 07:53 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

A FW dip will reduce the chance of introducing parasites into your main tank but it will do nothing for any disease the fish may be carrying. I have had success with both but would definately QT if you already have fish in the tank. The toughest part of QT is keeping a small volume of water stable and NH3 / NO2 free. I would investigate the reasons why you are having no luck with QT before considering to add more fish.

46g SW, 65 lbs Fiji LR, 4" Aragamax DSB, Coralife 2X96w CF, CPR Bakpak II, CPR Aquafuge 12 w/ 2x9 Coralife Mini Aqualight, 4 Maxijet 600's, PCI 200W Titanium Heater, 2 Blue Green Chromis, 1 Gold Bar Maroon Clown, 1 Purple-Stripe Dottyback, Finger Leather, Trumpets, Rose Coral Open-Brain, Pagoda Cup, Xenia, Star Polyps, Yellow Polyps, Various Mushrooms, Toadstool Leather, 12 Astraea, 10 Nassarius, 4 Bumble Bee, 6 Cerith Snails, 12 Red Tip Hermits.
phases99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2004, 07:56 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

OK, this is just MHO, no doubts I will be shot down.......

I have a 30gal tank, I will have 5 fish in total with lots of inverts, so far I have had 3 fish with no problems (removed a strawberry fish due to aggression), partly cos I only buy from 2 LFS's that I know & trust.

I also run a UV to "help" keep ick away, yes I also know the pros & cons of its kill everything useage.

I don't use a QT either have I dipped any of the fish, I look at ths way.. The fish are highly stressed when caught, they then change hands more than likely a couple of times before being shipped here, they then change hands to TMC (here in UK) they then geting shipped to your LFS & then you bring it home, if that ain't enough you then either dip or stick it in a tank for 6 weeks before catching it again & putting it in your main tank! each time damage must be done to the fishes protective coating?

Maybe I've been lucky, maybe not? as I said it is just my take on it & so far so good, of course in the interests of fairness if I have problems in the future I would of course say so...

I must finally add whether you QT, dip or straight in the tank (after acclimatising) none of these methods can truely be said to be right or wrong.

(FX: now ducks for cover)

Cheers Shelton.
30gal tank, 20kgs Fiji + 4kgs Madagascan LR, bare bottom, 2 x Maxijets 900, AquaC Remora skimmer, 10W D&D UV using a spraybar on surface for return,Maxijet 600 + spraybar behind LR, Ecco 2234 running RowaPhos/GAC, 150w visitherm.
Custom Built lid; 2 x T5 megatwin (4x39W Aquablue+); 4 moonlights.

IKS with temp & PH probes, controlling lights,heat & cooling fans.

Percula Clown; Banggai Cardinal; Firefish; Mandarin
2 Cleaner Shrimps; 3 Peppermint Shrimps; 1 Blood Shrimp
1 Large Feather Duster; 1 Hard Tube Coco Worm; Yellow Cucumber.
6 Red Legged Hermits; 1 Green Emerald Crab; 16 Dwarf Blue Leg Hermits; 3 Zebra Hermits; 3 Popsock Hermits
22 Turbo/Astrae Snails; 20 IO Snails
Shultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2004, 08:14 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Heh.. not gonna shoot you down Shelton. But I will bring to light what Mark has just gone through to perhaps offer you food for thought. He just had a fish die in QT which may or may not have been the result of disease. Let's say you're right and it was just a result of stress/poor conditions in a small tank, so perhaps adding straight to the main would have left him with all healthy fish. Great. Now let's look at it from the other point of view. What if it didn't die because of stress/conditions, but because it had something like marine velvet (some of the symptoms were the same so who knows). Now if this fish had been added straight to the main tank then ALL of them would be dead right now. So it comes down to risking your entire livestock over one fish.

Now it's also worth bearing in mind that countless people QT fish without any problems. If you do it right, there's no reason for the fish to be in any danger. Remember where it's coming from.. why would it be any worse off than it was in the LFS?

It's probably one of those things that you won't take seriously until you've had a disaster happen. Just have a look around the forum and you'll see plenty of reasons to learn from other peoples mistakes instead of waiting till you make your own.

Click HERE to vote for Aquarium Advice!
Atari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2004, 08:48 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

QT it is then :p

Atari: where r u in the UK?
Old 08-28-2004, 11:32 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
Agree with Atari (maybe someday I won't )
I am a firm believer in qt. After a velvet battle and a ich battle, I will no longer introduce a snail without qt. Actually I have become quite good at the qt procedure.
IMO the key is water changes. I have had a huge bioload in a qt tank on two occasions (including now). I have in a 40 gallon, all my fish stock below except the lawnmower Blenny and the Coral Beauty (they are in a 10 together).
By adding a 40 gallon garbage can to my 40 gallon qt and water changes (every day and twice a day in the beginning) I was able to keep them healthy until the cycle was established. IMO you need to commit yourself to do whatever water changes are needed until the tank gets on auto pilot. In the beginning I was doing 16 gallons a day, this kept them healthy until the biofilter set up. Now I just do 6 gallons a day. I have no ammonia whatsoever.
What I'm gettiing at is I think that people rely too much on the "seeded sponge" to do the work for them, While it is necessary, the daily water changes are even more so. Fight that ammonia with water changes, you will beat it.
Old 08-29-2004, 05:55 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

I agree with all sides of the arguement, as I said it could be luck why I haven't had any problems, maybe not?

It could also be said the fish I'm keeping/going to keep are the ones that tend to be more hardy anyways?

I know someone that has a dozen fish in a tank with no problems, but the last 3 fish he's bought have all died, when I asked what he'd done differently I was told he saved money on them all by going to a bit of a dodgy LFS rather than his regular one....

I don't know about the US, but here in the UK you only have to spend a couple of minutes in some LFS to see why people bring home diseased/dying fish!

Cheers Shelton.
30gal tank, 20kgs Fiji + 4kgs Madagascan LR, bare bottom, 2 x Maxijets 900, AquaC Remora skimmer, 10W D&D UV using a spraybar on surface for return,Maxijet 600 + spraybar behind LR, Ecco 2234 running RowaPhos/GAC, 150w visitherm.
Custom Built lid; 2 x T5 megatwin (4x39W Aquablue+); 4 moonlights.

IKS with temp & PH probes, controlling lights,heat & cooling fans.

Percula Clown; Banggai Cardinal; Firefish; Mandarin
2 Cleaner Shrimps; 3 Peppermint Shrimps; 1 Blood Shrimp
1 Large Feather Duster; 1 Hard Tube Coco Worm; Yellow Cucumber.
6 Red Legged Hermits; 1 Green Emerald Crab; 16 Dwarf Blue Leg Hermits; 3 Zebra Hermits; 3 Popsock Hermits
22 Turbo/Astrae Snails; 20 IO Snails
Shultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2004, 08:15 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

If I properly cycle my QT with Biomature, how long do you think it'll take to cycle? And, after it's cycled will it mean I won't need to do a waterchange every day? Every 3 days would be ok, but every day is a bit tricky with my working pattern etc.
Old 08-29-2004, 08:35 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

The way I see it, if you have a good filter and do a proper cycle, there's no difference between a QT tank and a regular tank. The only time anything should be different is:

A) When you need to QT a large load from the main tank.

B) When you're treating, and can't rely on the biofilter.

If you're setting up a QT for a new purchase, think of it as starting a new tank rather than a QT.. that's really all it is. Then if you end up needing to treat the fish, you can change your husbandry accordingly.

Click HERE to vote for Aquarium Advice!
Atari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2004, 09:03 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

I've got an internal Fluval 2 Plus filter...

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com