Discouraged :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
iceblueconcepts said:
I kinda rushed into things by making a post like that last night. Regretfully so, I knew this morning after I woke up that I would check this message thread and everything that I typed would be critiqued in every way like the "a Hippo Tang isn't going to make it very long in a 55". I have a 180 gal wide tank on order from glasscages.com and will be coming in next month. I highy doubt that the 3 inch long tang in my tank will outgrow a 55 gallon in less than a month. Every post that I have ever seen on this site regarding ick or regarding a sick fish always gets a hasty response with the general idea "your fish is very sick QT them immediately". I believe alot of you guys overreact when it comes to diagnosing ick and other parasites or bacteria. So, I leave this site with a bitter taste in my mouth, not because I can't take a few little comments, but because you have scared away a newbie. I am quite sure that I am not the only person who feels this way. I came into this hobby excited and then I found a site that looked like it could be helpful! Little to my demise, all that I have found here are people who really don't care to help, but to make you feel like you aren't welcome into a hobby in which we are new at. Maybe after this post some other people who feel the same will feel as though they can speak up in the same way that I did. From now on, I will be taking advise from my local fish store who has been in business for 15 years, not people that frequent messageboards. I think that would be the safest thing to do. In case you care or wonder, my PH levels were perfect today (checked with a Ph pen), along with the rest of my stats and there wasn't a visable spot on any of my fish.

8O

I often see people post "I acclimated my $8 fish with a 12-step process over a period of 72 hours with $12,000 worth of equipment. I held candlelight vigils, joined hands with all my kids, sang songs, and said prayers to the God of Acclimation". That won't change my acclimation process which involves floating the bag for 15 minutes.

People offer advice here based on their own experiences. None of it is gospel. No one is saying you have to follow someone else's directions word-for-word. Use their advice as you see fit and offer your own when you can.

Jeez, I hate hyper-sensitivity.

Clown Monarch said:
People offer advice here based on their own experiences. None of it is gospel. No one is saying you have to follow someone else's directions word-for-word. Use their advice as you see fit and offer your own when you can.

I couldnt agree more.

One thing I can say about my lfs is that they may act like they know everything about salt water aquariums, but they dont. I have been told that two types of fish could go together, only to get them home and find out that was far from true. The people that work at the lfs are in the business for one purpose, MONEY. While they have been in business for years, they do not know many of the macro algaes that I know because of this site. They have no clue what a caterpiller weed is...

I would much rather do research myself and ask for the opinions of people like the folks here on the boards. That way I get more than one opinion and I can study from that advice.

Wow I was shocked at your response iceblueconcepts. 8O

If you think the advise you recieved was offensive, then I would say that you need to get out more. We are here to help you, not hurt you. I dare you to go and post the exact same post, (copy & paste) on some other sites that fishfreek mentioned.

Sorry you feel like you do, but this is by far the most friendliest website on the net.

revhtree said:
I dare you to go and post the exact same post, (copy & paste) on some other sites that fishfreek mentioned.

I was thinking the same thing! I've seen some people lose their tonsils when the posters have jumped down their throats over the simplest thing on other sites! Imagine this thread on ... oh shudder! I can't even!

Almost as bad as politcal correctness. Our society is unfortunately charcterized by the inability to accept responsibility (everything is always someone else's fault), and the inability to accept criticism and difference of opinion (a trait unfortunately shared by the current occupant of the White House).

I don't want someone to tell me I'm doing the right thing when my fish are dying. I want someone to tell me I am doing something wrong. That way, I can fix it.

Really a simple concept, if you think about it.

From now on, I will be taking advise from my local fish store who has been in business for 15 years, not people that frequent messageboards.

rotlaugh.gif
rotlaugh.gif
rotlaugh.gif

Good Luck.

I don`t feel sorry for you but I do feel for the fish and corals that are at your mercy. For their sakes get out of the hobby and save a life.

Someone has daddys money to play with...
I don't think he'll be back anyway...
Cause we don't know what we're talkin about :) :roll:

lfs

sounds like he is just an owner of a LFs that is mad at the internet taking away from his little shop hoping at putting you all down and getting some kind of relief from sales lost that is my guess.

Back
Top Bottom