Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 02-15-2004, 03:42 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

ok all. I have a 210gallon tank that has been running about three months now, inhabitants are a long nose butterfly, a dottyback various live rock critters, several sponges and about 80 pounds of live rock.
Appox three weeks ago i decided to change from CC to a DSB, after a back breaking day this was achieved and am very happy with the result..
Now to the problem, just after the change i noticed that my long nosed butterfly, (for this topic, now to be known as the LNB.) had a couple of pin head sized black dots on his tail fins, this progessed on the LNB until they seemed to grow up his clear tail fins, sort of like lines.. Then i noticed that he seemed to have some salt looking crystals on his body, (very noticeable with just the actincs on) this has progressed until he is now covered in the salt crystal things, this accompanied rapid breathing and loss of appetite. He has now recovered his appetite and is breathing much easier but the salt things are still there.
I netted him this afternoon and removed a reddy black egg thing from him about the size of a ball point pen tip. It squashed easily and a sort of bloody substance came out.
Since this all started to happen I have only added the sand and some more live rock, did not quarantine either of them.
If this is coral reef disease, I thought you could only get it from infected fish introduced to the tank, and I have not put any in!~!~
So the questions are this, Can he recover without treatment, I would find it hard where i live to get copper and a copper tester. If he dies(please no) how long before i can add more fish to the tank, ie quarantine period.
Will he affect my dotty back and is there any way i can fix him quickly.
Any advice will be greatly appreciated as he is my mate and the founding member of my tank..
kindest regards kell

kellane1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2004, 10:28 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Do you have a QT tank you put him in?
There is an article here that tell you how to set one up.

The black and white spots are probably Ich. I would put the LNB in a QT tank and treat with hyposalinity. Here's an article on hyposalinty treatment

You might also consider using a copper based medication (ONLY in a QT tank) such as Seachems Cupramine or others.

This was probably brought on by stress.
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com