Disease Disfiguring my Emperor Angel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Balrog

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Any advise??? For the past month +, my emperor has had its face develop craters and discoloration. He has white/grey discoloration and "rotting" around his eyes and forehead... it's horrific. I've used MetaFix antibacterial for a couple weeks, but he's getting progressively worse. I'm about to set him "free" into the ocean, as it does not look like he could ever fully recover, even if I did find a suitable treatment. Any idea what he has and if it is treatable???

The other fish are not showing any signs of sickness.

Thanks,

Mike

I'm about to set him "free" into the ocean

That is highly illegal and highly irresponsible to set a non-native species free in the local waters could have ramification on the local ecology that are detrimental. Destroy it before you set it free. The fish has a condition called HLLE, it is not known exactly what causes it, it seems to be a serious problem for tangs and angels. I have had success reversing the process by improving the fishes diet, and soaking it's food in additives high in [acronym="Highly Unsaturated Fatty Acid"]HUFA[/acronym]. Improving water conditions will go along way towards stemming the pregression and possibly reversing the process. Some also believe it is caused by stray electrical current in the tank, so if you don't have one, get a grounding probe.

What do you feed him? Sound like it may be head and lateral line erosion. Do you feed him brine shrimp? If so that could be the problem, it has no nutritional value. How is your water quality? This info would help us help you.
Do you add any vitamins like selcon or zoe to his food? This may help. But you need to ID the underlying problem to really effect a cure.
Thanks!

I once heard this disease referred to as "Hole in the Head". It seems to be most common in Blue Tangs (Hippatus) and Emporer Angels. Everything I have ever heard is that it is in fact diet related as mentioned above. Be sure to use Selcon or Vitachem (I prefer Selcon) twice a week or so. Emporers seem to to better with some sponge in their diet and for that I recommend Angel Formula. Hope this is helpful.

Back
Top Bottom