Disoriented BiColor Angel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PrettyFishies

Aquarium Advice Addict
Just got a new bicolor angel from saltwaterfish.com and as soon as I open the bag, I can see he's swimming vertically and looks disoriented. The water was about 68 and I did a 3 hour acclimation. During the acclimation he seemed to start to straighten out and swim more normally. Then, when I introduced him to the tank, he just seemed to keep getting swept away with the current. He bounced off a few rocks. Not slammed, but brushed up against or bounced. I thought he would get sucked into the overflow, but he was able to swim away. I netted him and placed him in an isolation chamber that rests at the top of the tank. He still seems disoriented.

Any ideas?

Did you keep the lights off? I've read that when they're shipped in the Pitch black (a box) for a day or 2, any light at all can be very disorienting to fish. I've personally never had fish shipped to me, but that's what I've read.

It didn't make it. I think I got a bad fish. All of my fish were shipped so I've got the process down. Occasionally you get a bad one. They guarantee them for 15 days so I will try again.

Sorry to hear... I have bought several things from them and they've always been ok. Good luck with next one

The same exact thing happened to me when I got my bicolor angel. Except it was from the lfs not shipped. Mine looked as if he was really weak and forgot how to swim. After that I was always afraid of getting another one.

The new one arrived today and looks to have successfully acclimated. I think he even started hunting less than an hour after release. We'll see what happens when the lights come on in the morning.

I had mine do this when I purchased him I left the lights off for a few hours and after a few days he was 100% but would not eat they servers to get to eat dry or frozen foods I had to intice mine with fresh salmon or shrimp soaked in garlic that was 13 months ago and he's doing great know

Back
Top Bottom