Do bristleworms go after sand sifting star fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jcmelski

Aquarium Advice Activist
I noticed the other day that my starfish had bite marks on it's arms. then I noticed today that it was missing an arm and the other arms looked torn up. is it sick or can it be bristleworms? I noticed a large bristleworm the other day while rearranging my LR. What type of trap would you recommend to get rid of them? thanks

Last edited:
I doubt they will go after a healthy animal. What else do you have in your tank? Sand sifting stars need a larger, mature tank or will quickly consume their food source and starve.

I have 4 shrimp, 1 emerald crab, 2 clown fish and a sixline wrasse, snails, and the starfish. i've had it for several months now.

I dont believe it`s the bristleworm either. I would say your crab might be more of a suspect.

I doubt that it was a bristle worm. Bristle worms are known to be detritivores, or animals that feed on dead organic waste matter. They usually will not intentionally harm a living organism. Your crab is your best bet. It is not uncommon for a larger crab to prey on live starfish. Some people use starfish as a food source for a great abundance of crabs that they may have in one tank.

If someone in your CUC is picking at the star, I'm thinking the star is wounded and any flesh exposed will attract crabs or shrimps.

Some people use starfish as a food source for a great abundance of crabs that they may have in one tank./QUOTE]
That's freaking cruel! I haven't seen the starfish in sometime so I figure it's either hiding out or it's totally gone. What was weird was it had perfect bit marks on it, not like something was nibbling on it.

Back
Top Bottom