Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-03-2005, 09:28 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to redBernadino Send a message via Yahoo to redBernadino
Do emerald crabs kill fish?

About a week ago I added a tiger goby to my tank, and just last night, I woke up to an emerald crab eating the goby. I have 3 emeralds in my tank (60 gallons) but not much algae. Will they attack fish if they get hungry enough? I would think it would be pretty easy to snatch a goby hiding under a rock...

Old 03-03-2005, 10:54 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

It's possible....usually takes a good size crab though. Most likely, he was just doing his job of clean-up when you found it. Innocent until caught in the act you know. Sorry for your loss though.

Fireman

Old 03-03-2005, 11:06 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

It would pretty tough for an emerald ot catch a healthy fish. Most likely was sick or dead before the crab go t ahold of it. Sorry
Old 03-03-2005, 11:13 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to redBernadino Send a message via Yahoo to redBernadino
Yea, that's what I thought too. He was swimming around the bottom and sifting the sand all day/night, and then woke up and he was being eaten. Very weird.
Old 03-04-2005, 04:28 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

NOT WEIRD!

Did you read my previous posts asking for help with my dieing fish? Well, I'm not 100% sure yet but, for three weeks my fish have been dieing and I couldn't figure it out. My water is just fine. The lfs ask me if I had a crab and the light went on! It then hit me that my first death was 2 days after I added the Emerald crab LM Blenny)! The crab is a big sucker too!

My last fish (perc clown) I introduced last Monday night - perfectly healthy. Tuesday morning he was swimming high in one corner and looked all but dead. Frustrated, I've been getting. After my conversation with the lfs, I brought in the Em crab one afternoon. Several hours later, my clown was swimming around just happy as could be!!

The lfs made a good point; the crab doesn't have to actually hurt the fish but just the fact that he continues to harass and prey on them causes stress and eventual death - especially with surface fish. E.g. blennies, gobies, etc.

It's been three days now and everything looks far better for that clown. I haven't yet made a conclusion but I'm almost there
runway1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crab, crabs, emerald, emerald crabs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com