Do fish itch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SaltwaterTeen

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Off and on sometimes I see my pink pseudochromis/orchid dottyback itching its side on the piece of live rock it lives in. Its pretty entertaining, but is he hurt or anything, or is it normal? He has no parasites, or anything that would harm him. Whats he doing? :D

No, it is not normal. Immediately put him in a qt and observe him for two weeks if he or other fish show no signs of parasites put him back.

I've heard that if there are enough copepods or other "bugs" in the tank, it's possible that they irritate the fish and "itch" them, though I haven't had this issue myself.

I see my fish rubbing the LR on occasion.... My DF puffer dose it on a regular basis. I'd watch him for irritation/bump, and is it always the same side?
Have you add any new fish or LR lately?

Yes, new additions could bring in a parasite. I don't believe you use qt, do you?

It's possible its a less virulent parasite, fish can live for years with sealice. Maybe just a test with cu in a qt, if it stops itching than you know its a parasite.

Scraping/flashing is often a sign of a parasite or other illness/infection. any other addition, LR, LS, Inverts, Fish, Corals, Anenomes, anything, can introduce this into your tank. It's not so much that what you added was infected, but that it was simply in the bag with them, on the rock they were on, on the hermits shell, etc.

You should definitely QT and observe closely. As well as observe the other fish in your tank for any similar behavior

flashing is also a sign of a contaminent in the water. either way, don't just shrug it off...investigate further.

Have you noticed any loose scales on the affected fish? I noticed some on one of my spotfins last night. It may be nothing more than an abrasion from contacting the LR or a chance incidental contact with the warty anemone, but I am watching it closely to make sure that the wound doesn't become infected or progress otherwise. The other spotfin doesn't appear to be affected...yet.

Back
Top Bottom